Loading screens for Flash animations

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Garrett Williams

Loading screens for Flash animations

Post by Garrett Williams »

I hate posting animations without a loading screen. That would be THE feature that would get me to upgrade to version 6. Until I can do that, is there a way to add one with an additional program? I'm not sure if swf files can even be edited after export. If an AS-made swf can be edited with Flash, I might be able to get someone else to add a loading screen afterward. However, I prefer to add it myself.

I currently mostly use Anime Studio(not the Pro version) for on-screen animations at church, so it's still been very useful so far(oh yeah, a transparent background would be useful sometimes), but I'm eager to make stuff to upload to Newgrounds too.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Several questions there! Let's take them one at a time.

AS-produced swf files CAN be imported into Flash and edited. You need to be aware of a couple of things though. Sometimes, AS-produced swf files can be...erratic once you open them in Flash. Even if they look OK when playing as a stand-alone swf file, you can still have problems once they are opened in Flash. Can be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to fix things. And AS-produced swf files are not optimised for Flash production -- each frame is a separate "event". This can make for large files.

If you are using Flash animations mostly on the desktop, I'd recommend getting Flash (Flash 8 would probably be fine) and buying Northcode SWF Studio as a "wrapper" program. It's not cheap, but Northcode would enable you to present your animations in a much more controlled manner (including transparency).

HTH.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
The400th

Post by The400th »

Or maybe try to get an even older version of Flash cheaply, it might work. Does anyone know what the oldest version of Flash is that one could use for this?
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

I don't know about AS6, but AS5 exported a SWF format that can only be read by Flash MX 2004 and later versions (8, CS3 and CS4).

Ordinarily, if you wanted to import the SWF into earlier versions such as Flash 5 or Flash MX, then those versions will complain. But there is a workaround for these versions: You can use the marvelous Burak Kalayci's Swifty Decompress command-line utility (freeware; Windows only) to convert the exported SWF, enabling it to be imported into those earlier versions of Flash:

http://www.buraks.com/swifty/

Note the converted SWF file size will typically increase in size when converted. But once imported into Flash, you can break apart and optimize the vectors to bring the file size back down.

Cheers, Nick.
elbramtsol

Post by elbramtsol »

There is what is called an "External Preloader", google it . That will do the trick. Hope it helps.