Frame by frame animations

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Would you use Moho for frame by frame animations?

Yes
81%
I never animate frame by frame
19%

Total votes: 31
HumbleEgo

SWF Importer instead of Frame by Frame

Post by HumbleEgo »

It seems to me that it work make more sense to do that in another app like ToomBoom, which is great for Frame by Frame, but damn near sucks with everthing else. So, why not have a SWF importer and do your Frame by Frame in Flash or TB and have it act like a single element in Moho to mesh with you're other elements?
TheTallGuy

Re: SWF Importer instead of Frame by Frame

Post by TheTallGuy »

HumbleEgo wrote:It seems to me that it work make more sense to do that in another app like ToomBoom, which is great for Frame by Frame, but damn near sucks with everthing else.
I've tried TB twice now and given up both times. TB and I just don't think about things the same way. I could use Flash, which I have a lot of respect for, but it's clumsy to combine two separate programs -- it's easier to just stick to, say, Flash than try to bounce back and forth.

I think the reason everyone keeps pulling Moho this way and that way (More 3D! More frame-by-frame! More key options! More scripting!) is we all think it's one of the best general purpose animation programs around. Stuff that's a pain in the butt to do in, say, Flash is painless in Moho. (Um, why doesn't Flash support layer hierarchies?) So we all feel that, with a couple of "simple" changes, Moho could easily be our perfect, all-in-one animation tool.

Of course, LM may eventually be forced to split Moho into multiple apps for different types of animation, just to keep it from collapsing under the weight of all its features. But we can cross that bridge when we reach it... :)
HumbleEgo

Re: SWF Importer instead of Frame by Frame

Post by HumbleEgo »

TheTallGuy wrote:I think the reason everyone keeps pulling Moho this way and that way (More 3D! More frame-by-frame! More key options! More scripting!) is we all think it's one of the best general purpose animation programs around.
I couldn't agree more! I mean essentially it's added all (and more) the features in After Effects that I've been pleading with Macromedia to add to Flash forever! Key individual attributes, Animation Curves, Parenting, it's All there! And Bones? The gods have blessed us with BONES for 2D! But then they left out the few things in Flash and TB I can't do without. I'll try to be patient though, because at some point it'll all be there and Moho will put Flash, ToonBoom and the rest in a shallow grave.
TheTallGuy wrote:I've tried TB twice now and given up both times.
I understand completely. It took alot of sweat and tears for me to come around to ToonBoom. But, once I reprogramed myself, it's indespensable for Frame to Frame. I can basically hide all my palettes and go to town with my Wacom just like when I use a traditional light table.
Stephen X

Importing work from other programs

Post by Stephen X »

I think people are loosing track of the idea of using one solution for animation. You can't get any of the line quality/control and shading styles offered in Moho from any other software. Flash and TB have very limiting drawing capabilities.

How can you maintain your character animation intergrity if you are creatiing skeletal and simple moves in Moho while making tweens in another program? The styles will not match up.

I am a professional animator and I see a lot of value in Moho if and only if it can start doing some sort of in-betweening. Otherwise, it is only a powerful toy.

I love Moho's interface and drawing capability. It is its own animal. Just do not derail the programmers from incorporating frame by frame in the switch layer for version 5.

If you don't need it, that is fine. But there are others of us who do. I am anticipating the day when I can use Moho for actual jobs.

I look forward to using v5.