Better quality rendering.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Squeakydave

Better quality rendering.

Post by Squeakydave »

Oof! that sounded a bit contraversial but let me explain.

I find that any small details always seem to come out bigger when rendering in Moho. This has been bugging me for a little while especially if you have a character that gets nearer in frame. When it is further away the small details like the features don't scale properly. they seem bigger and softer than they should be.
The reason I write this now is that I am working on a project where I am exporting to Flash. I found that when I do a Moho render my details look all squidgy and Pants but if I do an export movie to .swf everything looks like it does in my edit window - lovely.
I would very much like that quality in my final output.

Thanks for listening.
vanleth

Post by vanleth »

Have to agree on this.

When drawing detailed small graphics with moho, the outlines or vector placements dosn't render very nice comparing to the work view.

Maybe a option to control the level of Anti-alias could help.

Best regards.
Van
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

I forgot to mention that I'm not even using any lines in my project :cry:
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

not even using lines eep! :?
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I have the exact same problem, with no lines:

http://www.galaxy12.com/Video/MrZerro_AnimTest01.5.mov

The mouth is only marginally detailed (again no lines, just overlapping shapes creating lines), but looses all detail and becomes a moving blob of black as we zoom out. Why the loss of detail?

If I have the chance I'll render out a close up version. But you should be able to see a tongue in there and not just the black of the mouth outline. And yes, it looks nearly that blobby with no compression (just less pixilated).
________
Medical Cannabis Seeds
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillSmith

Post by WillSmith »

try to use different converters to swf. For example some of new, such as video to flash converter. http://www.geovid.com/video_to_flash_converter/
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Thanks for the link but the Flash export from Moho is pretty good. The problem we are having is with the 'bitmap export'.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Does making the initial image & Moho file(s) bigger then exporting the file and rendering it smaller in another program help? (Example: Create all files, image and moho, at 640 x 480, export as bmp or targa files the same 640 x 320 size and then in another program (Adobe After Effects) reduce/output to the a smaller size 320 x 240.)
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

a little but the main problem with this is that when your animation changes scale. For example: A character in the foreground goes towards the back - it goes all mushy. In these situations it doesn't help at all.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Rendering at least 2-3 times scale isn't perfect either, but does work to some extent, but then you're files, pre-compression are 4-8 times as big as should be necessary (remember when you double the resolution, you're doubling length and width). Not a very good solution as far as I'm concerned, especially if you plan on working on a longer project.
________
Wholesale Vaporizers
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
typo

Post by typo »

You have problems when small details go bad when zoomed out. I have problems when big lines appear thinner when zoomed in. It's keeping the same line thickness in the shot, but as it zooms out, the lines appear to get thicker, but it is just the renderer keeping the same line thickness throughout the shot. I am not sure if this is due to the varied line thicknesses I use in the picture, because when I rendered an animation based on Tutorial 3.4 (Final), the lines scale properly (and there is only one line width, as far as I can tell).

A tad frustrating, to say the least.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

typeo, check whether "Scale compensation" is turned on for the vector layer in question (in the Layer Settings dialog). Scale compensation is a feature that makes lines thicker as you scale a layer up, or thinner as you scale it down (or zoom in/out with the camera).
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Lost Marble wrote:typeo, check whether...

Sorry, I just have to chime in here. The irony of making a typo in typos name is just too hard to resist!

:D :D
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

D'oh! I mean...I was trying to be funny...yeah, that's it!
typo

Post by typo »

My God, I'm slow. Thanks, LM. :D