Import SVG files and other Illustrator files (not "lega

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Inkling_Studio

Import SVG files and other Illustrator files (not "lega

Post by Inkling_Studio »

I would like to request that Anime Studio have the ability to directly import scalable vector graphic (SVG) files so that we can use freeware bitmap to vector tracers such as InkScape , Delineate , or VectorMagic to convert hand-drawn scanned art for use in Anime Studio. InkScape and Delineate export as SVG files . The web-based app Vector Magic saves vector images as SVG or EPS files. However, Anime Studio does not currently import any kind of SVG file and when I try to load an EPS image file saved from Vector Magic (or InkScape) it will not load in Anime Studio, even though Anime Studio says that it imports EPS files .

I would also like to request that Anime Studio be updated to use CURRENT Adobe Illustrator file formats , not "legacy" versions of Illustrator files. (keep the ability to import "legacy" versions , too, but recognize the current Illustrator file formats )
Genete

Post by Genete »

Export your SVG file FROM Inkscape TO "Adobe Ilustrator 8.0 *.ai" format and import it to Anime Studio works reasonably well.
RUSONAUTA

import from illustrator

Post by RUSONAUTA »

yes is true, but when you import from illustrator change the colors and the vertex lines
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Anime Studio is not Adobe Illustrator. It doesn't use the same "math" to define curves. The curves are different. Unless the program is completely changed vector files won't come in the same way as they were created.

This is a really old and often brought up topic.

As far as the color issue... that too has been discussed many times.

They general consensus is to "redo" drawings in AS... learn the drawing tools so you can work with it better.

p.s. I am so familiar with AS now, I would rather import AS into Illustrator, not the other way around. ;) I wish their was a way to export directly to EPS or AI format from AS.

-vern
mrpcsol

Importing Illustrator on Anime Studio Pro

Post by mrpcsol »

There is a tutorial on the issue, very well done.

http://say-web.com/?p=671
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

I agree with this request.
Illustrator 8 is an old format and the svg format is used from other softwares (for example I use Lineform).
However, import files from other vectorial softwares in AS is a tragedy... please resolve it.
SpaceBoy64

Re: Importing Illustrator on Anime Studio Pro

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

mrpcsol wrote:There is a tutorial on the issue, very well done.

http://say-web.com/?p=671
I can't watch this video. It says it's private.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I quite frequently need to import a company logo, so it would be nice if this import worked better, and I could reduce unnecessary points.

I had to do this on my last project and it was very time consuming. Complex drawings made AS crash or lock up.
Imago

Post by Imago »

If it's relevant, I've solved this problem whit Xara XS and InkScape...
Xara is fully compatible whit AS import formats, and allow you to modify the image before you import it.
It's so useful that I unistalled Magic Tracer and Corel Draw...
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
FB

Like Bitmaps...

Post by FB »

It will be cool if I can import vector formats without the ability to edit them. :roll: (just like Bitmap formats).
Atout66

Post by Atout66 »

Imago wrote:If it's relevant, I've solved this problem whit Xara XS and InkScape...
Xara is fully compatible whit AS import formats, and allow you to modify the image before you import it.
It's so useful that I unistalled Magic Tracer and Corel Draw...
Hi,

There is no XS version of Xara on the site of the editor :
http://site.xara.com/ordering/

Which one are you talking about please ?

Regards.
c6thplayer1

I use draw plus 4 to auto trace the image

Post by c6thplayer1 »

save as SVG then convert to AI with Uniconvertor.. works great.. Draw plus has a node erase that wipes most of the useless nodes away.
digitalartguru

Re: Import SVG files and other Illustrator files (not "

Post by digitalartguru »

Inkling_Studio wrote: I would also like to request that Anime Studio be updated to use CURRENT Adobe Illustrator file formats , not "legacy" versions of Illustrator files. (keep the ability to import "legacy" versions , too, but recognize the current Illustrator file formats )
Nice suggestion. It would like to see an Adobe Illustrator file import ( with layers ) just like AS8 does with adobe photoshop files.
GarysTheatre

Re: Import SVG files and other Illustrator files (not "lega

Post by GarysTheatre »

This has been resolved in ASP8 and 9 (I have these.)

File > Import > Vector File ... make your selection.