Crashes when rendering in OSX 10.3.6

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mason

Crashes when rendering in OSX 10.3.6

Post by mason »

I'm using version Moho v5.0.6 and it crashes sometimes when I render. I ran Moho from a terminal to check what error I get, but all it says is 'Bus error'.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

For me it stays in permanent "render..." without ever saying "done", and I can't close the render window or access any other part of the program, so I have to do a force quit. I emailed LM about this but I think this was just before the holidays kicked in, so I understand if it got lost in the shuffle.
-Keith
mason

Post by mason »

Have to tried running it in a terminal to see what error it throws?
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Not yet; I'll try that next ...
-Keith
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

It doesn't throw any error. It just hangs, like there's some infinite loop it gets stuck in towards the end of the rendering process. I have to go back to the terminal window, hit control-C and it just goes back to a regular prompt.

Or is there something else that I'm supposed to do here? I'm new to using Mac OSX.
-Keith
mason

Post by mason »

You did it properly. I use Linux at home and I'm accustomed to apps printing errors to the terminal, but maybe Moho doesn't really print anything useful. It was worth a try, though.

The Linux version is very stable. I only have trouble at work on OSX.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I think we've got a fix for this. Unfortunately, we've had record snowfall this week that messed up everyone's lives. Hopefully things will clear up enough for an update on Monday.
mason

Post by mason »

The latest patch didn't fix this. The terminal still says 'Bus error'.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

So far, it did seem to fix it for me. I rendered several different things in a row, no problem. Saved, unsaved, with various shading effects, etc.

I realize this is a small sample to go on, but it was hanging on me at least 50% of the time before.
-Keith
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Sorry, I just realized there are two different bugs under discussion in this thread. The first is where Moho would crash with a "Bus Error". We haven't been able to reproduce this here, and the 5.0.7 update does not address it.

The second problem is the Render window locking up, not finishing, and refusing to close. Moho does not actually crash in this case. This is the problem that 5.0.7 was intended to fix.
mason

Post by mason »

Oh, alright. Well, I've been running it in a terminal and it also output a segmentation fault.

It doesn't crash every time I render; sometimes, in the middle of a render, it stops and crashes. It's always during a render, but not always on the same layer when it crashes.

Is there a way to run Moho in something like verbose mode to get a more detailed error output?
mason

Post by mason »

Does anyone have any information? All this crashing is really pissing me off.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

How often would you say it crashes? Every other render, one every ten renders, ...?

Is this when you're rendering a single frame, a complete animation, or both?

What about if you render in batch mode? Is that more stable in your experience?
mason

Post by mason »

It crashes every 5 +- 3 renders using cmd-R. I'm doing single frames for now; I don't yet have any animation to test it with.

I've been using the export command to save a jpeg and refreshing to view it for the past couple hours and it looks like it works fine. I also just found the preview command - perhaps that will work fine as well (I can test it on Tuesday).
F.M.

Mac OS X crashes

Post by F.M. »

Since downloading the 5.0.7 update, I haven't had any trouble with my renders. (Mac OS X 10.3.7 1Ghz Imac G4)