Serious rendering errors in 5.0.5

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Barry Baker

Serious rendering errors in 5.0.5

Post by Barry Baker »

Rather than trying to explain the problems I'm finding, I've rendered the same (unfinished) scene in both 5.0.3 and 5.0.5 and uploaded the quicktimes to my webspace so you can see what I mean. (Right click to download)

http://www.barrybaker.uk.com/moho/Sc083_v5.0.3.mov
http://www.barrybaker.uk.com/moho/Sc083_v5.0.5.mov

If Lost Marble would like the original Moho file of this to see what is going on, I can email it to you - but for reasons of copyright I cannot upload it to my site.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yes, please send the Moho file to support@lostmarble.com. Be sure to include all the 3D models and textures too.
PhilR2004

same problem too..

Post by PhilR2004 »

I just encountered the same problem as well.

Hopefully another fix will be released, but give it a 5.0.5.2, instead of 5.0.6! Another minor fix is what is neded in order to temporarily stop this from happening into the future UNTIL a proper bug fix release is put into play.

I think what I am trying to say is release something of what was released in the shadowing bug that plagued 5.0.3! Well, like a small patch to fix the problem.

Thx for your time.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Edit -sorry, getting whomped on bandwidth and this is pretty well solved, so I have to kill the links. Sorry

--Brian
Last edited by 7feet on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Thanks for the skybox sample. It's the same bug plaguing that file as well. We have the bug fixed and will release an update later today.

I have to apologize for this series of bugs and updates. This all started from trying to improve the layer shadow effect - we should have known better than to make such a big change to the underlying render engine without a longer testing period. (It doesn't seem like it, but yes, the change to layer shadows did cause some big overall changes.)
WillBellJr

Post by WillBellJr »

No apologies necessary! :)

I think we all here appreciate the quickened pace with these feature updates! 8)

-Will
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I agree. No apologies needed. Thanks for the hard work!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Ditto. Just the fact that you jump on this stuff and respond as quickly as you do put's most everyone else's concept of customer service to shame. Jeez, if microsoft worked that way I'd have hardly anything to complain about...

I figured it was the same bug. I thought I'd done something stupid at first, but it just seemed too wrong.

And a question for you, Barry, on that example. How much of that was done inside Moho? Looks amazing, you sure aren't playing around. Cool to see what a serious pro can do with it.

--Brian
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Yes, Lost Marble have been amazingly fast and supportive right from the start. I don't see this level of service with any of the other major graphic applications. I made suggestions to Macromedia about Flash back in version 2 - not only have they never been implemented, they were never even acknowledged!

Brian, I really hope I can clear it to show what I am working on for everyone at the forum. I am really excited about it. The scene I used as an example of the render bug has a ceiling modelled in Wings3D, light-mapped using Gile[s], textures on the walls and floor painted in Photoshop, but everything else was created in Moho. That is a small fragment of the scene, and I didn't include what I have been doing with Moho's particles, but the character is swimming in a sea of paper.

The whole sequence forms part of a Health and Safety film for BskyB, the satellite broadcasters. The other segments are all animated in Flash; so far I am the only animator at the studio (I'm doing this at Uli Meyer's company in London) using Moho - but the interest shown in what I am doing with it by my colleagues indicates that I won't be alone for long!

Other scenes in this sequence will have some character animation created in Flash, not because Moho isn't up to it, but simply because I can't animate it all myself, and my colleagues haven't got time to learn Moho in the middle of the job. I will either incorporate their work as Quicktimes into the Moho scenes, or my Moho scene will be exported to Flash as a Quicktime, or else the two will be married in After Effects, depending on the scene.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Barry Baker wrote:the character is swimming in a sea of paper.
Ah, now I get it. I'd love to see the whole thing when it's finished, so please do post the finished movie if it turns out to be possible.