Don't see any 3D-Models (.obj) after having imported them

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Vincent

Don't see any 3D-Models (.obj) after having imported them

Post by Vincent »

Hello,

After having imported any .obj -models they are not displayed; the camera screen remains black, no matter which direction. I tried to zoom, pan or to rotate the camera but without any success.

I doubt that this is due to the system as I am running demanding progs such as Maya (PLE), XSI and Cinema XL 9 without any problems.

As the 3D option is an interesting feature within MOHO 5 (although a minor one) I would love to see it working on my system.

BTW, I am fairly familiar with MOHO 4.6 and I have always enjoyed the program (although I must confess that I liked the former interface better than the new one with independent windows, but that is probably due to personal taste ;-)

Thanxs in advance

Vincent
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Hmm, here's a point that I don't think is mentioned in the manual. When importing an OBJ model, it is possible that the model is much larger than the default Moho workspace. This means that when you import it, the camera may be "inside" the model. Because Moho removes the back polygons in a 3D layer, the entire model will seem back-facing and will not be drawn.

Try using the Orbit Workspace tool to get an outside view of the object, and use the Scale Layer tool to shrink it down to a smaller size.

It's also possible that the model is very tiny, and you may need to scale it up.

I think I'll see about creating an auto-scale script for 3D models to try to make them a reasonable size.
Vincent

Viewing and manipulating 3D models still not working

Post by Vincent »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this does not help. Either I see a black or a white workspace when orbiting plus the red box of the layer and its pivot.

Scaling the layer is hardly possible; the prog responds very slowly if it does it at all.

In one case a restart was necessary as it froze. BTW, the .obj models were fairly small with low number of polys.

If there are any further ideas on that issue I would be grateful.

Kind regards

Vincent

P.S. Have been using MOHO 4.6 on different systems. Mostly worked a s a breeze (performance and workflow likewise)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Vincent, if you can post your OBJ file online, or email it to support@lostmarble.com, I can take a look to see what the problem might be.