Banding in Gradients

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gtcable

Banding in Gradients

Post by gtcable »

I'm getting moving bands of color in gradients as they move in their animations :x . I don't see a way to resolve this so I assume it is a bug.

See the floor and ceiling gradients in this picture:
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

This could be a problem with the video codec you're using - many codecs don't handle smooth gradients all that well (perfect gradients don't show up much in real world video). If you render that particular frame as a still image, do you still see the banding?

Try going to the Project Settings dialog and setting the "Noise grain" value to 8 or 16. This will break up the smoothness of the gradients just a bit, tricking the video compressor into doing a better job.
gtcable

BINGO

Post by gtcable »

Ya know, I kinda thought that it looked like the codec was being a bit confused by the gradient as well. But I was using the Animation codec. This I was told was uncompressed (is that right?).

Anyways, I followed your suggestion and added a noise grain of 5 to my project settings. That solved it.

:D Thanks.
Now if I could just pin down my wall textures to keep them from moving.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3751