time line different from smart bone action

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lordwardell

time line different from smart bone action

Post by Lordwardell »

so I purchased a coarse on 2.5d animation through udemy which has been really great aside from a couple things. when I make create certain smart bone actions to move limbs they look fine inside the smart bone time line. but when I go to view the action using the smart bone dial in in the regular timeline my body parts are bending and I cant figure out why. its really confusing because its only happening with certain limbs and not others.

so this is what im wanting the arm of my character to do. looks fine in smart bone actions

this is what is happening on the regular time line when I try to move the bone dial

same issue with the leg

this is in the smart bone action

this is on the main time line

I have a feeling I just did something out of order but this has cost me a lot of head ache. any help would be much appreciated
synthsin75

Re: time line different from smart bone action

Post by synthsin75 »

Hard to tell without seeing the file, but maybe you have too many bones keyframed in the smart bone actions?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree...it's hard to tell without seeing the file.

From what I can tell in the screen caps, it appears you're keyframing too much of the rig in the Body Turn SmartBone, and this is introducing unwanted limb rotations to the Mainline animation (i.e., the rotations are probably being added to the shoulder, elbow, and knee rotations.) Normally, character posing is done in the Mainline, not inside the Smart Bone Action. Tip: try to limit the limb posing in the Smart Bone Action to bone position but don't animate the rotation. My guess is that you need to find the rotation animations in the Action's rotation channel and kill them.

Generally speaking, Smart Bones should be used to assist keyframed animation, not replace it completely. Otherwise, you're severely limiting what you can do with the character for animation, and potentially preventing you from animating the rig properly at all.
SuiRad

Post by SuiRad »

Been running into similar errors. At this point they should be categorized as logical errors. For example I have been setting layer visibility between smart bone actions. This lead to invisibility when I did not want it in some cases. Try minimizing the amount of point movements. If you need it try to assign it to another smart bone. From there you can call this smart action with the original by animating the new smart action there. This will reduce the amount of conflict by assigning it to one specific call.