Smart Bones & Vector Animation

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cosmos98

Smart Bones & Vector Animation

Post by cosmos98 »

Hey!
I was using AS Pro 11, I wanted to upgrade to Moho. I created all of my character rigs again but in this version I am having some kind of a problem.

I created a smart bone to make a head turn animation and everything was cool, I moved the points as how it should be everything was fine in smart bone part. Then I started to animate the character in normal timeline, head turn was working as I expected there were no problem about it, but I wanted to move a point on it's face (it was a part of the shadow that I've drawn for the animation, I wanted to move it because as the hair moves so the shadow also needs to be animated) This happened;

Pictures;
1) https://imgur.com/uzZSwCR
In this picture the character is doing a head turn to left and the shadow part with red point is the one I want to move a little so I click on it.
2) https://imgur.com/a/tXWn2r7
This is what happens first when I click on the point.(I am not moving the point i just clicked on it and it goes somewhere like this.)
3) https://imgur.com/a/reNPQQi
and then I drop the point it also goes somewhere else like this.
Not only this part of the animation but everything moves so crazy (her the main head drawing, her hair, shadow, the freckles..) and I don't understand why.

I noticed that when I delete the point animation on smart bone timeline this is not happening but this is a shadow so I am animating it as the head turns but sometimes I am also animating the hair like you know because of wind etc.. so I am trying to move the shadow with it in normal timeline, this happens. I didn't have this kind of an experience in AS Pro 11 and 10. I couldn't understand where is the problem. Hopefully someone will help me out :?
Last edited by cosmos98 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Greenlaw

Re: Smart Bones & Vector Animation

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

The images aren't accessible...I'm seeing a '403 Forbidden' error when I click on the links.

It would be better if you posted the images using the Upload To TinyPic tab in the Post A Reply window. I'm guessing the problem has to do with how you keyframed the actions (some examples: missing key for SBD or animation, incorrect naming, inappropriate interpolation, etc.,...) so it would help if you showed the timeline and and actions panel, in addition to what's happening in the workspace. You should also notate what's wrong and what was expected.

Since you're thinking about upgrading, FWIW, I find it easier to setup Smart Bones actions in Moho 12 because of the autonaming feature, which means there's lot less chance of mis-naming Actions and failure. As a matter of fact, it's become irritating to me when I need to go back to 11 for something because I've grown too lazy to type in the action names. There's a lot more about 12 that makes the upgrade worth it, but this was surprisingly a big one to me. :)

(Actually, maybe that's not so suprising because our rigs typically have hundreds of built-in Smart Bone Actions.)

Anyway, if you can get those images up, I'm sure somebody here can help.
cosmos98

Post by cosmos98 »

Hello! Thanks for the reply.
I updated the pictures. I hope you'll be able to see them now?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, that probably means you have a conflict in your actions. That is, you probably have at least two actions coordinating to place the point in one place, and you're fighting them to move the point to another location. You can get weird results because the position values will start adding up.

In general, if you have something (point, bone, layer, etc.,) being moved by two actions, you don't want to move the item manually. I think if only one Action is moving the points, you can still move them manually on top of the Action's movements--you're movements should simply add to the Action's movements.

If you must use two Actions, you can usually work around this problem by any of the following:

1. Keep the axis movements separate. For example, use only Y movements for up-down actions (like Head Pitch) Smart Bone Actions and X movements to side-to-side (Head Turn) Smart Bone Actions.

2. Use Layer or Bone transforms in one SB Action and Point transforms in the other SB Action. For example, you might use parent all the face elements to a bone and slide that bone up and down for the Pitch, but use point animation for the side-to-side. The idea is to avoid or minimize shared movements between the two actions.

3. Use MultRush's technique for mixing Smart Bone Actions. This excellent technique won't give you manual override but it allows you to add corrections to conflicting Smart Bones Actions. The idea is to create a hidden third or fourth Smart Bone that moves the points to corrected positions within the range of conflict. The technique is very clever and explained in his video on YouTube here: Mixed Smart Bones. The video is in Russian but there are English subtitles available.

Hope this helps.