Reference Layer stops working!

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

luckyhappylily

Reference Layer stops working!

Post by luckyhappylily »

Hey Guys!
I'm new to moho, but this looks like a bug to me. I'm using verison 12.3 (bought last week) I'm on mac 10.11 El Capitan
1.I create a vector layer, animate it using points and some layer animation.
2.I create reference layer to create some hiding behind other objects situation (original is a hand behind the body and the reference is in the front)
3.It works perfectly for a while and than all of a sudden it just stops working. Now I see it is when I try to animate the reference layer (points or layer transformation) Little icons signifying that the layers are connected are still there, but it just doesn't work (moving the original layer doesn't affect the reference layer)

HELP!
How can I fix it now?

I cannot upload the file because of the copyrights :(

best regards
Lily
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Reference Layer stops working!

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I think your issue could be related to the way animation channels work in references.
Each channel of a layer is referenced independently. If you animate a channel in the reference, it will lose the connection with the original layer.
Check the channels in the timeline. If any of them has a darker background, that means it's not referenced.
To fix it, right click the channel icon and select "Sync channel to original".

Or, you can always right click the layer and select "Update layer reference..."
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

There is a bug in 12.3 (and earlier 12.x releases) where it's possible for all channels in a referenced layer to get unintentionally keyframed and become 'not referenced'. Check the channels for the layers where you don't see the animation updating. If it says 'not referenced', this bug may have occurred there.

To fix this, you need to re-sync the channels. A quick way to do this is to collapse the channels and then choose Sync Channels To Original. You may then want to un-collapse this channels. (These are all right-click commands you can call up in the Timeline over the channel icons.)

Note that this will remove any existing animation to the channels. If you wish to preserve that animation, you'll need to copy it to an Action and paste it back in after syncing. That or manually re-sync every channel except the one with the keyframes you wish to keep.

You might also wish to update to 12.4, which has fixes for this bug in certain situations. This has been an elusive bug (seems to be very random,) so it's not known if the problem is completely fixed yet. (Fingers crossed.) :)

12.4 also adds a new right-click Layer command called Sync All Channels To Original, which may help.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luckyhappylily

Post by luckyhappylily »

OMG! Thank You guys! Greenlaw Your solution worked! I will update to 12.4 now! Saved my skin :wink:
luckyhappylily

Post by luckyhappylily »

I downloaded 12.14 and the problem seems to be gone :) Thanks again!