Bone tool not available

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Zahimi

Bone tool not available

Post by Zahimi »

Hello, earthlings. Sorry if this question has already been beaten to death; I searched before posting and couldn't find an exact match.

I'm using Moho Debut 12, recently downloaded and installed. I've been going through the Tutorial Manual sequentially. Everything has been working splendidly until I get to the Bone tool.

I create a character in a vector layer. I create a Bone layer. I drag the vector layer into the Bone layer so that it appears "subordinate" to it--i.e., is indented under the Bone layer in the Layers window. At this point, the tutorial states I am ready to start adding bones. However, the Bone tool does not highlight for me. It doesn't matter whether I'm in the bone layer or the vector layer; the tool remains unavailable for use.

Likewise, under the Bone menu (top of screen), all options are grayed out except for "Reset All Bone Rigging," which is superfluous, since I can't add bones in the first place.

Odd thing: When I launch Moho, it brings up a pre-made Moho file containing characters, animations, etc. When THESE files contain bone layers, the Bone tool IS available.

I have a screen shot to attach, but I don't think I have the option to upload an image directly from my computer to here...?

Sorry if I'm just being an idiot. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
zamasu

Re: Bone tool not available

Post by zamasu »

maybe you are not on frame 0 ?
Zahimi

Post by Zahimi »

Oops, sorry, should have mentioned. The Bone tool does not appear regardless of what frame I''m on, including frame 0. Thanks, zamasu.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Do you have the bone layer selected?
Zahimi

Post by Zahimi »

Yes, bone layer is selected, but bone tool is not available.

Advancing through the manual, I also seem to be lacking a Hide Edge tool. Maybe just some glitches on the install...? I used an earlier incarnation of Moho on an old computer a while back and didn't have either problem.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm sure you've already tried closing Moho and relaunching it, but if not, try this first: Close the tool palette and re-open it. It happens rarely but when I see something funny with the Toolbox, that usually fixes it. If that doesn't, close Moho and re-launch.

When you say 'Bone Tool', which one? Or is it all of them?

I don't normally launch Debut but I'll check it out over the weekend. Some tools found in Pro are not available for Debut but I think most of the bone tools should be common.
Zahimi

Post by Zahimi »

Hi, Greenlaw. The manual I'm using specifically lays out which tools work in Pro only, and the Bone tool is not specified as such. Could be wrong, but my guess is that's not the issue.

The Bone tool I don't have is more specifically the Add Bone tool. More exactly, I have it, but it can't be activated.

Meanwhile, I don't have a Hide Edge tool at all... not grayed out, not anything. Unfortunately, re-launching, re-booting, opening and closing toolbars and the like haven't hehlped. I've googled similar problems. The closest thing I've gotten to a fix is delete the application and re-install it. Both the bone and hide edge functionalities are things I need to make the program even marginally worthwhile for me.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That sounds really odd. I didn't get to check Debut yesterday but it would definitely have the Add Bone tool. I'm not sure about Hide Edge but I think it would.

I'm about to take lunch, and I have a copy of Debut on my personal tablet so maybe I can check there quickly.

It would help if you could post a screen cap or two of the whole UI.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, I took a look at Debut. Are you in Beginner's mode? I noticed that Add Bones is not available in Beginner's mode but it becomes active when you disable Beginner's mode.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Same with Hide Edge. It appears only after you disable Beginner's Mode.
Zahimi

Post by Zahimi »

Oh, DUDE!! Thanks, Greenlaw! You are a super hero. That was exactly the problem.

(The irony, of course, is that I AM a super-beginner.)

I really appreciate it. (Now time to contact Tech Support and have them please disregard.)

PEACE.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Glad to help! Have fun. :)