Import action can never find the moved psd file

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Import action can never find the moved psd file

Post by strider2000 »

This is an interesting one that was unexpected. The implication is Moho asking where the psd file is every single time I open a file, even after I tell it.

I had a character that
  • imported an action
  • the action included a smart bone dial that controlled a switch layer for bitmaps (hand positions in particular)
  • I imported action into another character
  • I later moved the psd file that contained the bitmaps (hands)
    • I didn't think about it as a problem. I typically don't want to move the files, but usually I just tell Moho where to find them, then after the save we're golden
The next time I opened the file I got the message "There is a file missing. Would you like to locate it manually?" Cool enough, I point it to the correct file and we're good to go. I then save the file and expect that I won't get asked again, but I do.

After eliminating layer by layer, and removing animation, I finally have nothing left but the imported action. Here's the file if anyone wants to see it

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ad8as6zet ... ndPSD.moho

With that file, it will always ask me for the location of the psd file.
synthsin75

Re: Import action can never find the moved psd file

Post by synthsin75 »

That file opens without any prompt to find missing files
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Hmm, I just double checked by downloading to make sure nothing happened in the upload. I downloaded and put the file in a separate directory and still get the same prompt for missing files.

I am running on Windows 10, with Version 12.2, Build 21774 (64-bit), if that makes a difference.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

same here - file opens ok and no prompts for anything -- (it has loads of styles and just the one bone layer and an empty action?)

Ah - this is an imported action?! there's a reference to a file relative path Actions/LeanIn.mohoaction - and that's not in the upload.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

hayasidist wrote:here's a reference to a file relative path Actions/LeanIn.mohoaction - and that's not in the upload.
Ah ... I bet I can guess what's happening. I bet that, because the action is imported, any changes made, ie telling Moho where the psd file is, are not saved to the action, because it's in a separate file. So the next time the .moho file is loaded, it will import the action, and again need to search for the psd file.

I'll update the download after work, in case anyone is interested, but I think you've given me at least an idea of what's happening and thus an idea of what to avoid in importing actions.

Thanks hayasidist.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I checked leanin.mohoaction and I do see Hands.psd referenced in there. So at least I know why the issue is happening and where it was looking. It would be nice if the imported actions could be updated like normal layers, but I understand that's a wish list item. I never thought about looking at the original exported action, because I just thought to look at the action window and see if there were any keyframes.

Thanks hayasidist.