texture fills and transparency

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

the_royal_orchestra

texture fills and transparency

Post by the_royal_orchestra »

Hi!
I'm a new Moho pro user but already used it in a project. Great software.
I realized that particle layers work well with .obj files, used it to animate a bunch of satellites orbiting the earth with a camera view from somewhere outer space. I also tried to put some semitransparent png planes like clouds into the orbit. This did not work so good.
I tried textured obj files first but it looked as if transparency can only be full or none for 3D-layers. I also tried a Moho-vector-plane with textured fills extruded to make them 3D (z=0) but with the same result: the same png that renders fine as image layer looks ugly when converted to a 3D-layer. There is transparency but the transition to full opacity is abrupt - 0 or 1, this leads to pixelated edges instead of smooth transitions. (This is definitely not a straight/premultiplied problem. )For certain effects it would be very nice to be able to convert a 2D-layer to a 3D-plane without extruding or inflating so that layer order is ignored and only the z depth is used for drawing order, anyway. I thought using obj files or 3D-layers would be a workaround but the rendering of semitransparent pixels does not work unfortunately.
Is this a bug or did I miss something?

By the way I also found out that particle layers don't like to hold particle-layers. This would have been great to give my satellites some smoky emissions. This worked nearly, but it was rendering jittery, all particles, satellites and emissions were flickering. I solved the same problem in another animation of fireworks by rendering a single exploding rocket and use the png-image sequence as particle. Would be nice to be able to import SVG sequences. It seems Moho can only export them.
chucky

Re: texture fills and transparency

Post by chucky »

With the jittery rendering, you can normally get a good render if you uncheck multithreading in the render preferences.
I frequently get those jitters when the particles are heavily grouped.
This workaround ( although slows render) works well... It does also help if you want to render in the background while doing other stuff.