Moho 12 Can't animate Bone layers in a smart bone action

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheGreenBrony

Moho 12 Can't animate Bone layers in a smart bone action

Post by TheGreenBrony »

I've found an intriguing bug as well as an easy workaround. As far as I can tell it only exists in Moho 12. I checked my rig in Anime Studio 11 and it worked fine.

Say you make a rig with a bone layer (child) inside another bone layer (parent) like outlined below, with a smart bone action in the Parent layer that animates the child layer (translate, scale, etc.) Something you might have for a head turn action in a complex head rig.

Parent (bone) -has smart bone action-
->Child (bone) -has animation within Parent's smart bone action-

With this set up, any animations of the Child layer will not work in the Parent's smart bone action. When you rotate the smart bone, the layer will appear to animate, but as soon as you hit play on the timeline, it will pop right back to it's frame 0 position. However, I did find a workaround. If you put a smart bone action within the Child layer as well, then the problem disappears. You don't have to do any animation in the Child action, just so long as it exists. I literally just drop a bone into the Child layer, name it "fix" or something, make a smart bone action for that bone, and viola. Problem solved. Odd little bug, but at least the workaround is easy for now. Hope this helps anyone who runs into the same issue.

*EDIT* Further testing revealed a couple things. First, the child layer is affected by this bug if is any type of group layer (group, bone, switch). Second, I couldn't replicate this bug in a fresh file. So this problem is, as far as I can tell, specific to my rigs. Now, whether that is because I made the rigs in AS 11 or because of some glitch in their setup, I'm not sure. Either way, I probably won't bother doing much testing to find out since I already found such an easy workaround.