Action is empty after import (Moho 12)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

neeters_guy

Action is empty after import (Moho 12)

Post by neeters_guy »

Let's say I export a walk action and I want to import the walk action to another identically set up rig. After import, I find the walk action is empty...no keyframes in the action. After some experimentation, I discover that if have at least one bone selected (highlighted red) first, the action imports correctly and shows up intact with keyframes.

You can test this out with a character wizard rig. Export the walk action, then delete all the actions in the Action list. Import the walk action, once with no bones selected and once with bones selected.

Anyone else experienced this or is able reproduce this? Is this normal behavior?
synthsin75

Re: Action is empty after import (Moho 12)

Post by synthsin75 »

Well, a walk action would include bone animation. So I assume you need to select one bone so Moho knows which bone hierarchy you want the action keys matched to. There is the possibility that the user has more than one bone rig on a bone layer, so I'm assuming the logic is to expressly point to the target rig.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks for the info neeters_guy. And thanks for the possible rationale synthsin75. I'm guessing from your guess :) that control bones can mess things up. As a software developer, I'm sure the underlying assumption can be improved. I'd say that you could start by defining a metric for comparing rig similarity. A simple approach would be to select the one with the closest number of bones. Alternatively, or in addition, you might have a popup show up if there is more than one potentially matching rig.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thanks, Synth, that makes sense. I'll test this further when I get chance.

For now, I'm glad I can share actions between rigs (I'm trying this out on strider's swell M1 rigs. :) )

[For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that I apply Convert to Relative and Remove External Connection after importing. This helps greatly normalize the action if the two rigs are of different proportions.]