Moho buggier than ASP11?

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Moho buggier than ASP11?

Post by Reindeer »

Generally speaking, I've been encountering more spinning beachballs (I use a Mac) than I ever did with ASP 11. And more good 'ole fashion unexpected quits, too. Sometimes Moho just seems to not like something and it seems to not like it no matter what one does.
Close the file, reopen it, the 'buggy' thing (the layer, the bone, whatever it may be, I can't seem to identify a pattern here), seems to still be there.
Copying the incriminated layer to a new document doesn't help either. I've found myself needing to trash entire layers to get out of the beachballing situation, and that can be major time loss.

I wouldn't say that it's a terribly frequent thing, like not every day. But it has happened three or four times since I've upgraded to Moho12 (I upgraded a few days after launch), so I'd say it's a noticeable frequency for such relatively short period of time.

ASP was amazingly stable (at least in my short experience hitherto), especially if compared to obsessive crashers like Flash . Moho is still quite stable but there's been a sensible rise in these 'no-way-out' situations. At least, as far as I can tell from my viewpoint.

EDIT: in the instance I'm encountering right now, I actually can't animate a character anymore. Simply selecting his layer will set the ball spinning. It spins at intervals, so when it pauses I can quickly select another layer, which will stop the spinning. The character layer seems to have been corrupted somehow. Re-selecting it will get the beachball spinning again. And with many already animated keyframes, searching for which may be causing the problem (if at all a keyframe is the problem) is like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

EDIT 2: I have the feeling the problem is when I use the Transform Bone Tool. The character somehow started working again but when I try to use the T tool the wheel comes out again.
synthsin75

Re: Moho buggier than ASP11?

Post by synthsin75 »

If you're bug-adverse, it's always a good idea to wait for the first bug fix update to any new software (especially before using it for paid work). AS11.0 wasn't nearly as stable as 11.2.
Reindeer wrote:EDIT: in the instance I'm encountering right now, I actually can't animate a character anymore. Simply selecting his layer will set the ball spinning. It spins at intervals, so when it pauses I can quickly select another layer, which will stop the spinning. The character layer seems to have been corrupted somehow. Re-selecting it will get the beachball spinning again. And with many already animated keyframes, searching for which may be causing the problem (if at all a keyframe is the problem) is like the proverbial needle in the haystack.
There is a known bug with the transform layer tool. Group layers automatically select that tool if you don't have a tool selected that works on group layers. And if you have layer transform keys, it hangs Moho when that layer is selected. For now, selecting a different tool that works for group layers before selecting the group will bypass the hang.

But we'll have to wait for the update to really fix the problem.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote:If you're bug-adverse, it's always a good idea to wait for the first bug fix update to any new software (especially before using it for paid work). AS11.0 wasn't nearly as stable as 11.2.
There is a known bug with the transform layer tool. Group layers automatically select that tool if you don't have a tool selected that works on group layers. And if you have layer transform keys, it hangs Moho when that layer is selected. For now, selecting a different tool that works for group layers before selecting the group will bypass the hang.
But we'll have to wait for the update to really fix the problem.
True, one should always wait. On the other hand, when Moho was released I'd been using ASP11 for a few months, found it to be really very stable, very reliable, so I just figured I could trust the upgrade. Upgrade which, just to not sound 'ranty', I'm still very happy with.

When I say it's buggy I mean it in comparison to its predecessor, not that I it's buggy software in general. In fact, I find Moho rates as one of the stablest softwares I've used so far.
I come from Flash and Harmony. Harmony has its issues, like all software it's not bugless; but Flash always was a real nightmare (it was so even many CC versions ago, when its features were worth the risk). I can't count the number of files that were corrupted after a crash, or the memory problems Flash had.

Speaking about the actual bug, yes, what you say perfectly fits the problem. I just saw that happen: using another tool avoids the hang (though, I think I've seen it also happen in such way that it wasnt' exitalbe, but I may be wrong). I'll keep notice of that and still hope it gets corrected (it's always scary to see the wheel).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I know what you mean. For the most part, the new features in Moho 12.0 have made me much more productive at work so I don't wish to turn back to ASP 11, but I agree that 12.0 can be less stable than ASP 11 and there are a few basic features that aren't working right. This isn't too surprising because the program got a major makeover in how it handles layers and timeline data. How it manages data now is far more sophisticated than in ASP 11--this makes it easier to use but that's because the program is doing a lot more work for you under the hood.

When there is odd behavior, usually, somebody here will have come up with a simple workaround and this is a good place to ask about it. For critical situations where there is no good solution, we keep ASP 11 around to fall back on...but fortunately, I haven't had to do that yet.

FWIW, I know developers have been busy addressing some known issues so hopefully an update is coming soon.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. For the most part, the new features in Moho 12.0 have made me much more productive at work so I don't wish to turn back to ASP 11, but I agree that 12.0 can be less stable than ASP 11 and there are a few basic features that aren't working right. This isn't too surprising because the program got a major makeover in how it handles layers and timeline data. How it manages data now is far more sophisticated than in ASP 11--this makes it easier to use but that's because the program is doing a lot more work for you under the hood.
When there is odd behavior, usually, somebody here will have come up with a simple workaround and this is a good place to ask about it. For critical situations where there is no good solution, we keep ASP 11 around to fall back on...but fortunately, I haven't had to do that yet.
FWIW, I know developers have been busy addressing some known issues so hopefully an update is coming soon.
Luckily I haven't needed to open ASP11 either. And even in this eventuality, I suppose with all the new features ASP can't open Moho files.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Just reporting again on the hanging problem with the Transform Tool, not to be whiny but because I suppose it may be useful to keep track of this peculiar bug.
So... It just happened again. If I select another tool and wait long enough, Moho will eventually wake up and exit the spinning wheel. But it's not a rare thing anymore, so I'd rate this problem the single worst I've encountered since upgrading.
Does it happen every time I use the T Tool? No. Does it happens frequently enough to make the T Tool a little scary to use? On my setup here, definitely Yes.