This file crashes Moho 12, over and over.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stealingfeathers

This file crashes Moho 12, over and over.

Post by stealingfeathers »

Hey all.

I was testing Moho 12. Playing with an image file and pin bones. There are several pin bones but it sure didn't seem like enough to drop the program to its knees. This file crashes Moho. In fact, upon reopening the file several times, I find the program freezes right up if I try to animate the pin bones. I have a good machine and AS11 never crashed on me - working with far more complex files than this.

Here is the location of the file if anyone else wants to try animating with it. I had to gather media because of the image file. http://stealingfeathers.com/moho/misc/r ... d_file.zip

Also, I know this isn't the "official" bug reporting place, but here are my system specs anyway...

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Notebook
System Model P750ZM-G
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Not Applicable
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.03.04, 6/12/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
synthsin75

Re: This file crashes Moho 12, over and over.

Post by synthsin75 »

If you delete the layer translation keys for the bone layer, it won't crash (and you should be able to redo the translation). I've seen this once before, and I'm trying to figure out what causes it. Do you remember how you created those layer translation keyframes? Was this an older, AS file brought into Moho?
stealingfeathers

synthsin75 wrote:If you delete the layer translation keys for the bone layer, it won't crash (and you should be able to redo the translation). I've seen this once before, and I'm trying to figure out what causes it. Do you remember how you created those layer translation keyframes? Was this an older, AS file brought into Moho?
Not an older file. I started a new file, brought in an image (from the Moho library), threw on some pin bones and a regular bone. I added a vector layer with just a rectangle. I was just messing around to see what's new and how to work with new features. I turned on timeline visibility on both layers and then I selected multiple keyframes from both layers and tried to slide them. That's when the trouble started. Moho crashed and then when I opened the recovered file, all I had to do is click on a bone and crash again. And again.

I just opened the file again and deleted the layer translation keys as you suggested. I animated bones, etc.I selected multiple keys over two layers and I haven't had it crash yet this time. It's good that your suggestion worked, but it's not so good if a person just finished 100 hours work into something and then they find that they have to delete all of their layer translation keys (unless it works to select, copy, delete and paste them all right back in).

Let us know if you figure out what might be behind this. Thanks for the response.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, there's a reason most professionals wait until the first bug fix update before completely relying on new versions (whether OS or software). No matter how big the beta tester team, it just doesn't match the whole user base bashing away at it.

I know how to fix the problem, I just don't know how to recreate it yet...which is usually necessary to fixing it. If you happen to figure out the steps that cause the problem, but sure to let us know.
stealingfeathers

synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, there's a reason most professionals wait until the first bug fix update before completely relying on new versions (whether OS or software). No matter how big the beta tester team, it just doesn't match the whole user base bashing away at it.

I know how to fix the problem, I just don't know how to recreate it yet...which is usually necessary to fixing it. If you happen to figure out the steps that cause the problem, but sure to let us know.
Yes, ha ha. I'm actually glad it crashed right out of the gate. It woke me up -- reminded me not to go too crazy doing new stuff with this fresh release. It's a good time to learn the new features and find bugs. I'll let you know if I run into this again.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Don't get me wrong, there are pros using Moho, but they are very disciplined about saving frequently and over several incremented files. So with the right precautions, there no reason to be overly paranoid about losing work.
stealingfeathers

No no! Wild horses couldn't drag me away from Moho 12. I've been waiting for these new features. I'm just glad the crash reminded me not to assume it is going to respond the way AS 11 did. I'm sure the pros are loving Moho 12 already.