layers moving on their own.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Metoo

layers moving on their own.

Post by Metoo »

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone else is have these problems. Im working on a large animation and there some lag when i get up to around keyframe 2000+. It is kinda annoying but i can deal. My main issue is with one of my riggs. The layers/objects are bound to bones in the rig either via point binding or layer binding. But as i scrub the timeline certain layers/objects starts to move on their own. All the layers are under the same bone layer, & none of the bones in the rig move. Just some the vector layer(and switch layer). I did clink inside these layers to make sure there no lingering or sneaky keyframes that could be causing this issue. Yet the layers continue to move.

I also used the transform layer tool to move the layers back to the right place. But when i advance a frame the objects return to the incorrect position(Hahaha!!!!). It is very annoying problem and it is driving me cray-cray. The only option that i can think of that might resolve this issue is to Rip and Rebuild the rig. This would be a great inconvenience as i have smartbones set up. Any help would be appreciated, but a solution would be ideal(Hahaha).

Thanks
Greenlaw

Re: layers moving on their own.

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing the rig, scene, movie or even a screencap, all anybody can do is guess. Any number of things can cause elements to drift or 'move on their own'. My guess is that maybe you have errant keyframes in an Action somewhere? Or maybe an incorrect parentage or grouping that's creating unwanted double transforms?

2000+ frames! That sounds crazy. :)

One of the longer animation sequences I ever worked on was for a 3D game commercial that had to be an uncut POV shot with a ton characters, vehicles, and a lot of crazy vfx stuff happening on at the same time. That was probably about 720 frames and even then we chopped it down to many workable 'chunks' to make it easier to animate and composite, and then the scenes were edited it back together as a single sequence in editorial.

On a much smaller scale, and in 2D, was the Hearts Like Fists animation I posted a while back. There are a few long scenes in that animation and I had to break those down into shorter scene files to make the animation more manageable. (And in some cases, to simply make it rendereable on my laptop computer.)

I don't know if you can do that on your project but it might be worth considering. I find having multiple short scene files for a long scene is much easier troubleshoot than one big complicated one.

Hope this helps.
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

Hmmmm....ok thx I will start going thur my actions and try to find the problem.

But I do have a question if an action is in effect wouldn't the action name be blue (highlighted)??
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Do you mean in the Actions window? That means you're currently editing the action.

During animation, AFIK anyway, there is no indicator that a Smartbone Action is being used other than you see that Action's animation happening.

The easiest way to check for errant keyframes in an Action is to select the item that's moving (layer, bone, points, whatever it is you're seeing) and see if there's an Action associated. If the item is supposed to have an action, open the Action and make sure that only the keys you intended exist for that Action.

If you don't find anything there, the motion is coming from something else. That could be a bone influence, an unintended motion on a parent/group item, or motion directly on the points...like I said, it could be any number of things. Sight unseen, it's just a guess for anybody.

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote:During animation, AFIK anyway, there is no indicator that a Smartbone Action is being used other than you see that Action's animation happening.
Whoops! I misunderstood what you were asking and my statement above is a little inaccurate. What threw me off was when you said blue highlights. I don't get blue highlights but selected bones are definitely highlight the Smart Bones Actions they are referenced in.

The color of the highlight depends on the current color scheme of course. In ASP 11 on my system, I'm using the Dark theme so I see a golden yellow highlight (not that I paid any attention to that before. D'oh!) I have a color scheme similar to Dark in Moho 12 which also displays golden yellow highlights but I can't recall if that's the default or if I customized it.

Regardless, you are correct--the action in the panel will highlight when you click on a bone that belongs to that Action. Sorry for the mis-info. :)