exclude strokes bug

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: exclude strokes bug

Post by synthsin75 »

Using a reference of the ProblemLayer, you can put an unmasked stroke only reference above the masked layer.
karip

Post by karip »

Thank you, Synthsin.
If anybody else is trying this, this is an override solution for "exclude strokes" (if you are hiding edges). In addition to Synthsins suggestion, you'll have to switch off "exclude strokes" from the mask layer. I remembered I was actually using this before I learned to use "exclude strokes", but it just didn't come to my mind.

But it works, so it's perfect for now until it gets a fix. Cheers!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad to help. References are what really make this solution work. Even before we had exclude stroke, we used this with the meshinstance layerscript to do the same thing. Much easier with references. If we got references first, they probably wouldn't have added the exclude stroke option.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

karip wrote:Is there any solutions for this bug?

We're experiencing this same problem, and I'd like to hear if somebody found the solution.
Here is the problemfile, if it helps any.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/266 ... .anime.zip

There will never be a good solution to this bug. I'm still having this problem. Anime studio will never fix this, but they want you to pay so much for the new update.....
Adding new stuff and yet they won't fix this bug. It's really sad tbh.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Exclude strokes was only a stop-gap feature. Now we have references, and you don't need it at all.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I have to agree with Wes on this.

I still tend to use Exclude Strokes first because it's pretty convenient to just click that button and, if it works, great!

However, when it doesn't work, it's a trivial matter to create a reference or a copy of the mask layer, knock out the fill and just move it to the top. You gain a bit more flexibility this way too in case you need to make further adjustments or wish to add details to the layer, or maybe do further masking effects to the strokes layer.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

Then if I decide I want to change the mask's layer blending mode to something else, I'll be back to square one all over again. This is why they need to fix their stuff. For that price tag, I expected more from them. If exclude strokes isn't going to work the way it should, they shouldn't kept it in. It don't make sense at all for it be in and we have to use something else just to get the results we want. It's been almost a year since I've made this topic and the programmers or whatever you call them, still haven't fix this yet but want to boost the price up. This is why some people get annoyed with this program. You add in new stuff and not even care for the bugs people tell you about. Whats the deal with?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Keith.D.C wrote:Then if I decide I want to change the mask's layer blending mode to something else, I'll be back to square one all over again. This is why they need to fix their stuff. For that price tag, I expected more from them. If exclude strokes isn't going to work the way it should, they shouldn't kept it in. It don't make sense at all for it be in and we have to use something else just to get the results we want. It's been almost a year since I've made this topic and the programmers or whatever you call them, still haven't fix this yet but want to boost the price up. This is why some people get annoyed with this program. You add in new stuff and not even care for the bugs people tell you about. Whats the deal with?
It does work the way it should. Exclude strokes was added to address a very specific need at the time. If you are trying to use it beyond its intended purpose...that's what layer references are for. References are much more robust and flexible and handle the problem.

Blend mode? How are you using blend mode with masking that would be a problem for using references?
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Did you disable exclude stroke before trying the reference? Looks like you're trying to do both.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

synthsin75 wrote:
Did you disable exclude stroke before trying the reference? Looks like you're trying to do both.

YOU said use reference layers not enable exclude strokes :). This is after reading what YOU said.
The program is just buggy. You might as well admit that lol.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Keith.D.C wrote:YOU said use reference layers not enable exclude strokes :). This is after reading what YOU said.
Use references INSTEAD of exclude stroke. Have you tied that yet?
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

synthsin75 wrote:
Keith.D.C wrote:YOU said use reference layers not enable exclude strokes :). This is after reading what YOU said.

Bro, I use reference layers and didn't even touch the exclude strokes setting. As you see, it won't always help. I said this last year lol.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Keith.D.C wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:

Bro, I use reference layers and didn't even touch the exclude strokes setting. As you see, it won't always help. I said this last year lol.
Did you also unhide any hidden line segments and disable the stroke on the original?

If you did all that, can you post a link to the file? It's really not clear from your picture what you're doing.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

I already told you what I was trying to do.