exclude strokes bug

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Keith.D.C

exclude strokes bug

Post by Keith.D.C »

Is there a solution to this bug? Whenever I hide an edge with "exclude strokes" checked, there's a white line around the hidden edge. I've notice some people talked about this...but after all this time, there's noting done to actually fix this??? Image
synthsin75

Re: exclude strokes bug

Post by synthsin75 »

If the expand mask option doesn't help, I'd have to see the file, or exact setup, to tell if there's a solution.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I've been running into matte line issues here too, identical to the above example but also in other masking situations. Creating demo content for submission later today.

G.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Keith.D.C wrote:expand mask option doesn't help

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/288 ... ssue.anime
In Layer 1, I checked on "Expand mask by a pixel" and it seems to have fixed the problem in the rendered image. The workspace will still show the thin line however.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just wondering but is the 'Expand mask by a pixel' option disabled on purpose for the two 'invisible' mask options? This is where I'm running into most of my matte line issues and where I can really use the single pixel expansion. The pixel expansion option is not available for 'Subtract (invisible)' or 'Clear and Add (Invisible)' Layer Masking options.

These masks are often a reference layer of a visible layer, which needs to be nested as an invisible mask within a separate group. Sometimes I'm able to work around the issue by applying a slightly thicker or thinner stroke thickness to a referenced layer but this isn't always ideal.

Edit: Ugh! In fact, I just now ran into an issue where expanding the stroke is fixing the matte line but it's also creating new problems because the mask shape is no longer precisely aligned with the other unmasked layers. The matte line issue really just needs to be properly fixed.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Just wondering but is the 'Expand mask by a pixel' option disabled on purpose for the two 'invisible' mask options? This is where I'm running into most of my matte line issues and where I can really use the single pixel expansion. The pixel expansion option is not available for 'Subtract (invisible)' or 'Clear and Add (Invisible)' Layer Masking options.
Just check the Expand Mask option with the visible Add option checked. It will still work once you switch it to invisible. No idea why it's greyed out.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah! Thanks synthsin75! That trick may help for many of these matte line issues I'm running into.

Once again you've come to the rescue. :)

I guess the disabled state of the Expand option is be a bug then. I had assumed it was intentionally disabled by the developer but I was unable to imagine why either.

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Rats! It didn't work--the mask expansion is checked on now (though still grayed out) but the mask is still behaving like expansion is disabled--in other words, still getting the matte line. Oh, well...will report this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Could you share a problem file?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

off'top of my head, I think this happens more with one or other of 'hide all' or 'show all' type masks...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote:Could you share a problem file?
Maybe. I got some helpful suggestions from the developer this evening, and I think I may be overthinking the groupings in some of my setups. I'll take another look at the scenes tomorrow, and if the matte lines are still an issue, I'll put together some generic content to illustrate.

Thanks for your help.

G.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

neeters_guy wrote:

In Layer 1, I checked on "Expand mask by a pixel" and it seems to have fixed the problem in the rendered image. The workspace will still show the thin line however.

Thats not always gonna help. If I decide to move the shading out of the way, then you'll see the white line once again.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Keith.D.C wrote:
neeters_guy wrote:

Thats not always gonna help. If I decide to move the shading out of the way, then you'll see the white line once again.
Not a problem if you do the masking for both circles in the same masking group.
karip

Post by karip »

Is there any solutions for this bug?

We're experiencing this same problem, and I'd like to hear if somebody found the solution.
Here is the problemfile, if it helps any.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/266 ... .anime.zip