Switch layer point position and smart bones AS11 (caching?)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Switch layer point position and smart bones AS11 (caching?)

Post by strider2000 »

I'm trying to see if this is a bug or some non-obvious interaction and if anyone else has seen this. It looks like a caching bug.

Problem:
Points in switch layers seem to be cached to the opposite smart bone action.

Steps to reproduce:
- create switch layers for mouth positions
- create a head turn smart bone with separate actions for positive and negative movement
- adjust the mouth position for the action of the positive turn
- adjust the mouth position for the action of the negative turn
- go back and view the action of the positive turn
- result: the mouth positions look like the correct ones for the negative turns
- Note: this does not occur for every single mouth switch layer, not sure why

Notice:
- click on the last frame of the positive turn
- result: mouth positions pop to the appropriate positions for the positive turn

When I move out of editing the smart bone actions it seems to be working ok, but it is very disconcerting to spend a ton of time setting up a smart bone action for all the switch layers and then have it look like it's been altered. The concern is not just an appearance issue that's easily resolved, but rather, it's unclear whether or not things are broken. ie there's a nagging fear that things will break badly all of the sudden.

Since things seem to resolve ok if I've clicked in the action editor this seems like a minor, though highly visible, issue. I'm not sure if I did anything to cause this. I haven't noticed this in earlier versions, though I've seen something close and maybe related. I have seen that if I reparent a smart bone it will require that I re-adjust the bone in the actions editor. This smart bone is parented to another bone, but I did that before creating the actions.

Has anyone else seen this or know why it's happening? Thanks.
synthsin75

Re: Switch layer point position and smart bones AS11 (cachin

Post by synthsin75 »

Perhaps you could provide an example file.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to upload the anime file. :cry: I don't see anything allowing me to attach a file. I do have a github account, don't know if that would work. I don't have a website or anything like that.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Dropbox or some other file host will let you upload and give you a link to share.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Here's a link to the file http://www.mediafire.com/download/svi4r ... lems.anime
The problem does not occur every time I click on a switch layer in an action timeline. If it looks ok in head turn, for example, I double click on head turn2, then start clicking on mouth style switch layers,(AI, E, etc...) and the problem will occur. Thank you for any help.

FYI, I have two mouth styles because I was comparing the two.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Both of your smart bone actions have the bone rotating the same way. This makes the actions fight each other when the bone rotates that way, and one SB action will be active in the other. If you use two SB actions for a bone, make sure you do not duplicate any rotation angle in both.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks for the reply. That's actually a reduced file from my original trying to find the problem. I must have done something wrong when reducing the file and uploading. Don't know how I missed that.

So I've uploaded again (ie replaced the old file today) with the bone rotation corrected, but the problem is still there.

Another interesting point is that it doesn't seem to happen _exactly_ the same way every time. There must be some combination of things that I do that causes this. Here are the step that will show this problem with the latest uploaded file:

Steps to reproduce:
1) Open the action for Head turn
2) Click on frame 96 to see that the bone is pointed in the correct direction and the head is properly turned
3) Click on the mouth layers AI, E, etc, FV, they'll probably all look ok
4) Click on Head turn 2
5) Click on frame 96 to see that the bone is pointed in the correct direction and the head is properly turned
6) Click on the mouth layers AI, E, etc, FV at least one of them should look like it's pointing in the wrong direction

If the problem doesn't occur Click on Head turn and go to step 2 and repeat the process. The problem has always occurred for me in at most 2 passes.

Also, I have tried to correct the issue by clicking anywhere in the action timeline when I see the issue, thinking that would force an update of the actions. That layer will be corrected, but if I continue the steps I'll see the problem show up again, sometimes on a different layer.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Okay, I can verify that the display isn't updating like it should. As long as each layer updates by scrubbing the timeline in the action, I wouldn't worry about it not working on the mainline during animation. While editing (until this is fixed) I would make it a habit to at least move between two frames before editing each layer.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Great. Thanks synthsin75 for the help :)