Make Smart Bone Dial Reparenting Bug?

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Make Smart Bone Dial Reparenting Bug?

Post by strider2000 »

I've noticed that if I create a smart bone dial with "Make smart bone dial" the bone is "unparented". I can understand that the design might have assumed that was a good thing to do, but I believe it's problematic, because reparenting will break actions associated with smart bones. This is problematic for my workflow, because I'd use the "Make smart bone dial" most frequently for bones I want to move with the character (most commonly the head). This is especially true now that we have target bones (prior to that I might have moved the layer rather than transforming a key body bone in the character. The target bones allow me to move the character, but keep the feet locked. It's more steps if I move the layer.) So typically I'd set up and bone with it's appropriate parent then make it a smart bone dial, meaning I'd like it to keep the parenting it has.

One work around is just live with the fact that the smart bone dials don't move with the character. Ok, but not best. Another work around (my preference) is to make all my smart bone dials manually, which is not hard, but the Make smart bone dial would be a nice save of a number of steps (especially labeling the actions :o). I expect that the long time users are already just making the smart bones manually, but if I'm missing something I'd like to know. Thanks :)

This is probably obvious to most, but here are simple steps that show the issue.

Step to reproduce
(These steps don't have to be exact, they just are an explicit way to demonstrate the issue)
- create a typical vector layer as a child of a bone layer
- create a vertical line with stroke on the vector layer
- create a bone over the line, I'll call it head tilt bone
- create a head turn manual bone and a head turn sbd(smart bone dial) bone, both parented to the head tilt bone (they can of course be named B2 and B3)
- create a head turn actions for the head turn manual bone making sure to manipulate the line
-- note that the bone is not reparented
- select the head turn sbd bone and select "Make smart bone dial"
-- you are immediately taken to the action window
- create the head turn actions, similar to the manual head turn bone
- after creating actions,
-- note that the head turn actions work properly for both head turn manual and head turn sbd
-- Result 1: note that the head turn sbd bone is no longer parented to the head tilt bone, which mean sit cannot move with the head tilt bone
- reparent the head turn sbd bone to the head tilt bone
-- Result 2: The actions for head turn sbd no longer work properly