Background layer not showing on PSD import into AS10

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mozza

Background layer not showing on PSD import into AS10

Post by mozza »

Hi there,

I'm importing a PSD directly into AS10.1.1 on a Mac as layers (rather than composite), but it doesn't seem to display the 'Background' layer when they've imported. I've taken a look at the layer settings to check that it's ticked as being 'visible', which it is, but it doesn't show. Only the layers above it display. Am I doing something wrong on the import?

Apologies if this is a common query, I didn't see this come up in a quick search of the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
mozza

Re: Background layer not showing on PSD import into AS10

Post by mozza »

OK. Just realised that if I double click the background layer within Photoshop (to turn it into a normal layer) resave the PSD file and then try to reimport, it imports fine. So I guess that the PSD import imports everything but Background layers.

Perhaps might be worth a tickbox on the import dialogue to ask if users want to import the locked 'Background' layer, or not?
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

It's a known bug. Hopefully addressed in the future.

For now, it's not possible to import that layer because it's not a 'normal' layer. Get used to double clicking the layer in Photoshop to unlock it. Apparently even the Photoshop developers run into a lot of bugs with the Background layer because it's so special.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, Adobe needs to just fix that. I use Photoshop at work almost daily, and a day doesn't go by where I don't have to double-click that bottom layer to convert it into a normal layer. I think it's a holdover from days when available RAM was a bigger issue, though I can't imagine this really saves much. (Basically it saves you a single transparency channel that you might not need.)

I guess I hadn't noticed the issue with ASP imports because I'd gotten into the habit of double-clicking that layer when I begin a new PSD document. :)

G.
mozza

Post by mozza »

Thanks to both. Thought I was going mad.

First day using AS10. Loving the straight import from Photoshop, and not having to go the 'Export to Moho' route! :-)