The document was'nt saved properyly error

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

The document was'nt saved properyly error

Post by DK »

Anyone getting this error message in V10?
The document wasn't saved properly. The file may be marked read only, or you may be trying to save to a read only disc.
It's weird...so I save the file with another name and it saves ok.....but...open this second version file again and it won't save with same message and on and on....Anyone know how to stop this?

D.K
PRIMAL MORON

Re: The document was'nt saved properyly error

Post by PRIMAL MORON »

DK wrote:Anyone getting this error message in V10?
The document wasn't saved properly. The file may be marked read only, or you may be trying to save to a read only disc.
It's weird...so I save the file with another name and it saves ok.....but...open this second version file again and it won't save with same message and on and on....Anyone know how to stop this?

D.K
Hiya DK,
I actually know the problem for once...

Here's what it is:
There is this file known as Com Surrogate.dll, it is considered an unstable use in creating and working with thumbnails by your file explorer, since anime studio seems to make thumbnails now, it might utilize this dll file to create them. If you try to delete the file, you will get the error message that it is opened by Com surrogate, thus proving it is the problem, press cancel if it asks to try again to delete it. The biggest issue is a deadlock, which means the computer is confused by 2 or more commands/programs that are trying to do opposite things all at once!

Here's how to fix it temporarily, as no permanent fix has been confirmed yet:
*I would highly recommend, based on what I heard, if you have a kesperky program to update it, as it might cause the problem, but was fixed in a revision.
*If you don't have such a program, here's what you do:
**press Ctrl + Alt + Del and go to your task manager.
***If you are on Windows 7 or earlier, go to your processes and look for com surrogate, right click on it and select "end task" and then close your task manager.
***If you are on windows 8 or 8.1 make sure you have "more details" arrow active on the bottom of task manager (you should see "less details" if it is currently active) go to "background processes" section and look for com surrogate and right click on it and select "End task", then close your Task manager.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The program will reset for awhile and allow you to save once more, repeat this process if it happens again. It has been tested and works for now.

Untested fixes (use at your own risk!):
*Update drivers and see if that helps.
*Allow com surrogate through your firewall/antivirus.
*Check for viruses.
*Check for registry errors.
*Contact smith micro and see if they are having the same issue with anime studio 10.x, (or if they know of it.)
*Try another computer.
*Move your contents to a New Document and Save.
**Delete The old document and replace the new one with it's name.
*Try turning off thumbnail saving.
**Reduce max thumbnail saving size.
*Try saving while Hardware Acceleration is off.
*Revert your document to V9.x via the menu
**Reopen it in V10.X and try saving again.
**Try it in V9.x and save there.
***Then reopen in V10.X

That's all I got in mind for temp/possible fixes, info, and ideas, try them out and I'll check back to see if these are possible fixes for everyone.
-Matt
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Matt.
Wow....that was a huge post on the topic thanks! I will have to wait till I get the error message again as it only happens sometimes. Weird!!!

dk
hasty27

Post by hasty27 »

I was having the same problem, but more consistently and you solved my problem. Every time I would try to save an ANME fle, I'd get the "wasn't saved properly" error. I opened a Task manager and had 2 COM Surrogate tasks that I clicked end task on. Problem solved. Thanks Primal!
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Thank you thank you. I was just about to do a post on this very issue when I saw this. I can confirm that it works as I just had this issue and just now was able to fix it following the Windows 8 instructions. I do like those thumbnails we get now as well.
emartin

Post by emartin »

Can someone post exact reproduction steps? Is it just an occasional save, but once it happens you can't save at all? Or is it Save As? Most of the posts in this thread talk about Anime Studio 10.0, but has anyone got it to happen in 11.0? Do you have multiple versions of Anime Studio installed on the system? Any details about the document that is locked. Is it a large document? Can you save other documents in the same folder?

The Anime Studio thumbnail plugin does use the COM Surrogate process. COM Surrogate is used to prevent an errant shell extension plugin from crashing Windows Explorer. If one of the processes is hung, the file will be locked until the process is freed.

Thanks,
Erik
chucky

Post by chucky »

I notice it when I open a previously saved file , make a change and save it again under the same name .
iliasboufidis

Post by iliasboufidis »

ASP11 on win10, it happened. on a document after importing image, didn't notice it with vector only documents, i was opening-closing gimp and artrage as well so maybe that's what caused multiple COM Surrogate processes? My task manager showed 3. (win 10 thumbnails enabled)