Quicktime 7

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rylleman

Quicktime 7

Post by rylleman »

As I wrote in a post in the papagayo part of the forum I just installed QT 7.0.3 which made papagayo not funtion as it should.
I think it messes up Moho as well, I get the feeling that Moho slows down when scrubbing the timeline and I have a soundtrack file loaded, it doesn't seem to flow as smooth as it did.
If I mute the audio Moho runs smooth like it used to do before I installed qt7.
Is QT used for rendering audio while working with projects (is QT used to playback soundtracks?)
If it is I think LM has to check how QT7 handles audio in comparison to how QT6 did it because there seem to be some difference which affects both Moho and Papagayo.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Yes, seems that something strange occurs and, if Moho never worked very fine with sound, now all works worse... :? I suppose yes, if not LM would not do it, but I always have wonder if is REALLY necessary/indispensable that "dependence" between the two programs... :roll:
jordanek

Post by jordanek »

I had the same problem with Moho slowing down after installing QT7. I went back to QT6 and it plays fine again.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

jordanek wrote:I had the same problem with Moho slowing down after installing QT7. I went back to QT6 and it plays fine again.
I did that too just now. I hope LM releases an update soon for Moho to handle QT7 properly.
cribble

Post by cribble »

it cacked up all of my video apps, so i ran... ran all the way back to 6 and i was glad that i did.
--Scott
cribble.net
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Same here. I've heard similar comments on other forums. Sounds like Apple needs to work on it a bit.
Dave
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Any word from LM on this subject????

Haven´t been working with Moho for a while.
I just tried creating something with sound in Moho with QT 7.03 and the program just freezes up if I try to push the "play" button to do a quick preview of the animation.
This never happened before.

Using Windows XP.

Sound in Moho plus QT 7.03 seems to make Moho inoperable.
Will this be repaired or patched or is there a work around (other than going back to QT 6)???
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Still investigating. It seems like several people are noticing slowdowns, and at least one person a complete freezing up. I haven't been able to reproduce this at all myself - everything seems to work fine. I believe that it is a real problem, just haven't tracked it down yet.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

This is what I have done to get Moho to Freeze up:

(Maybe I did something wrong...)
This is basically following instructions in Tutorial 5.1.

1. Drew an object on a vector layer.
2. Duplicated it two times (for a total of three layers). On each layer moved object a bit so each not all in same location.
3. Added a Switch layer.
4. Put the three vector layers within the Switch layer.
5. I wanted the three objects to move with a sound track, so double-clicking on the Switch layer I went into the Swtich Tab and clicked on the Source Data to select the Sound track.
In the timeline the keyframes are inserted, push play and the object moves around to soundtrack....
But I can´t hear any sound. Which is normal. Everything is working Okay, I just need to hear the sound with the animation.
So I go to Main Window select Animation>Select Soundtrack and select the same soundtrack. In the Timeline window the Sound wave blue shape is put in the Soundtrack. Everything is looking good.
I click Play and nothing happens.
I try to click on other things and the cursor turns into an Hour glass...waiting for something to happen.
Moho is now inoperable. I have to force quit the program.

----------
NOTE: I have also tried a simple animation with sound without the Switch layer (I thought perhaps I did a step wrong in using the Switch layer).
A simple animation of a ball moving across the screen. I added Sound via Animation>Select Soundtrack. I push the Play button and it works, ball moves, sound plays.
BUT...when I try to scrub across the Timeline with the mouse cursor there is either no sound or Moho Freezes up as described above.

This never happened before with Moho. The only thing I have changed that could effect this is getting QT 7.03.

Any tips on what the problem could be???
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Has anybody else tried this and had a similar problem with the latest versions of Moho and QT?

Heck - on my Windows XP computer Moho is now dead in the water when using sound. Unusable, inoperable. Wonder what the problem is.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

HI! :D ...Although I promiseme don't use Switch Layers never more... (since LipSincWithActions, you know :wink: ) I've done your test in my Athlon 2000+ with 768 RAM memory, Windows XP Professinal SP2, QuickTime 7.0.3 and Moho 5.2.1 ...Well, is true that all seems work more sloooow now when I use sound since I instaled QT 7.0.3, but my Moho is alive (at least, uf...) and very capable to make previews with or without sound and with or without Switchlayer/s... Hmmm, I think something strange could be happening in your case/configuration and I don't know what more can I said you, well... sorry and... GOOD LUCK! (old friend :))
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Thanks for trying it out, Ramon.

I use switch layers with sound for other things besides voices talking/lipsyncing. Such as an object moving to a sound.

Guess I will just have to put Moho away for a while or use no sound in Moho and see what happens with the future development of Moho.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Toontoonz, can you email me the sound file you used for your example? support@lostmarble.com