Blurred Shapes

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Blurred Shapes

Post by dkwroot »

I'm not sure if this is a glitch or a feature, but all of the shapes in layers other than the layer I have selected are slightly blurred.

I discovered that when I turn off the GPU, the blur goes away. I re-installed my drivers and even went through a format, but the problem remains. When I use masks, the program tends to crash which is another oddity. This issue is exclusive to AS10, 9.5 never had this problem so it must be some change to the code. Is this happening for anyone else?

GPU: Radeon HD 6850

In this image, the layer with the blue shape is selected. Notice how the green shape is blurred when the GPU is on.
ulrik

Re: Blurred Shapes

Post by ulrik »

I also have the same "blur" issue when GPU is on.
I am running OSX 10.9.2
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It seems that GPU acceleration is actually showing something like a render for all unselected layers (with anti-aliasing at some specific resolution). For example, if you have GPU acceleration enabled and disable strokes in the general Display Quality settings, only the selected layer has its stroke disabled. Selecting the other layer swaps which hides strokes. Seems the unselected layer "render" that it is displaying does not account for these settings.

I'm not sure that this is a huge issue though, as you always need an actual render to see what the final output will look like, with all effects, masking, etc..
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

ulrik wrote:I also have the same "blur" issue when GPU is on.
I am running OSX 10.9.2
Do you have a Radeon graphics card or Nvidia? I'm trying to figure out if it's the drivers.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

dkwroot wrote:
ulrik wrote:I also have the same "blur" issue when GPU is on.
I am running OSX 10.9.2
Do you have a Radeon graphics card or Nvidia? I'm trying to figure out if it's the drivers.
I have ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

/Ulrik
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

synthsin75 wrote:It seems that GPU acceleration is actually showing something like a render for all unselected layers (with anti-aliasing at some specific resolution). For example, if you have GPU acceleration enabled and disable strokes in the general Display Quality settings, only the selected layer has its stroke disabled. Selecting the other layer swaps which hides strokes. Seems the unselected layer "render" that it is displaying does not account for these settings.

I'm not sure that this is a huge issue though, as you always need an actual render to see what the final output will look like, with all effects, masking, etc..
That's a good catch, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Here is something interesting, when I check "Fade unselected layers" the background layers become crisp again despite the GPU acceleration being active. Oh, but the oddity doesn't stop there ... When you start the program with one of the pre-rigged characters loading up, the pre-rigged characters are crisp regardless of what layer is selected.

I rolled my drivers back, but it didn't fix the problem. This issue appears isolated to something changed in AS 10. A workaround for now appears to be to set unselected layers to faded or to work with the GPU turned off and then activate it just for the rendering process.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

This definitely seems to be a bug, and here's how to avoid it. This only occurs for vector layers that are still optimized for Flash export (the little red dot in the upper left corner of the layer type icon). You can go to frame one, select a point, and hit the reset button on the transform points tool. This will make a point motion keyframe (but without actually changing anything), and the layer will no longer be optimized for Flash and no longer blur in the workspace when unselected.

I will report this problem. Thanks for the great example that helped me sort out the cause.

Also, AFAIK, GPU acceleration only helps speed up things in the workspace, not during render (which is now a separate application that AS launches).
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

synthsin75 wrote: This definitely seems to be a bug, and here's how to avoid it. This only occurs for vector layers that are still optimized for Flash export (the little red dot in the upper left corner of the layer type icon). You can go to frame one, select a point, and hit the reset button on the transform points tool. This will make a point motion keyframe (but without actually changing anything), and the layer will no longer be optimized for Flash and no longer blur in the workspace when unselected.

I will report this problem. Thanks for the great example that helped me sort out the cause.
You know what they say about bugs ... the only good bug, is a dead bug. Hopefully they'll squash this in the next update. BTW, your workaround worked like a charm, thank you. :D

synthsin75 wrote: Also, AFAIK, GPU acceleration only helps speed up things in the workspace, not during render (which is now a separate application that AS launches).
I always assumed GPU acceleration worked for Rendering. For example, when you render something with a scene imported from poser you'll still see 2 progress bars despite the fact that the developers said that the renderer only uses 1 core. I always assumed that the 2nd progress bar was the GPU, but if it's not ... then what is it? :?:
Distinct Sun

Post by Distinct Sun »

dkwroot wrote: I always assumed GPU acceleration worked for Rendering. For example, when you render something with a scene imported from poser you'll still see 2 progress bars despite the fact that the developers said that the renderer only uses 1 core. I always assumed that the 2nd progress bar was the GPU, but if it's not ... then what is it? :?:
The additional bar is the writing of the output file/s.
"All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites."
Marc Chagall
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, like Jason said, the second render progress bar is the overall progress, so if you have two cores, it will show three bars.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

You guys are awesome, I love learning new things about this program. :D