9.0+ Nightmare glitch with PNGs and Switch Layers

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kedric

9.0+ Nightmare glitch with PNGs and Switch Layers

Post by Kedric »

My team has this TERRIBLE issue that none of us have seen before till Anime Studio 9.0 and 9.5.

My animation team uses sprite animation . . . so our characters consist entirely of PNG image sequences and PNG puppets.

Everybody on my team is getting these same glitches. Random PNG images will either go white, completely disappear, OR they will change source images (the leg becomes a large hand and the hand becomes a small torso). When we render, we don’t get these glitches . . . only in the preview. It is so hard to tell what exactly we are animating after a while because we can’t see anything.

The other glitch that almost ALWAYS comes with this is that character actions that took HOURS to animate will be completely removed from the switch layers. This is causing us to take sometimes twice the amount of time to animate a scene because not only do we have to re-animate all the actions for entire scenes, sometimes the file refuses to be re-animated. We keep trying to add new keyframes but the program simply refuses to add them OR the program adds them temporarily but as soon as we click another layer they get removed.

We want to go back to using Anime Studio 8 or earlier but all of our files now are in 9. This is a NIGHTMARE! The last project for a client I spent 20-30 hours just trying to recover files from these glitches. This glitch has now cost me thousands of dollars. Jon Canham told me he is now having actual nightmares about this where he finishes a file and then loses all his work.
Lukas

Re: 9.0+ Nightmare glitch with PNGs and Switch Layers

Post by Lukas »

Try turning off GPU acceleration in the preferences.

Also, you can see what 'nearest neighbour sampling' does for you, it's in the layer settings of an image file.

Hope that helps
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Since we work with sprites we usually use nearest neighbour sampling. We will try turning of GPU acceleration and see if that makes a difference.
kimthejo

Post by kimthejo »

Hey!

I just wanted to lift this thread again since I have the exact same problem as Kedric but could not really find a solution for this problem here or anywhere else.

I work a lot with PNG files that often change source image or turn white. The only way to get them back is to save and restart the application, which is really really annoying if you are working towards a tight deadline.

I´m using a macbook 2.66 with 8 gig of ram and a geforce 320m, so I thought for a while that it might be an issue with the integrated graphics. Yet i need to have gpu acceleration on, cause many of my layers are transparent and I need it in order to see what I animate.
box

Post by box »

For the record: Turning off GPU acceleration solved the problem in my case (swapped images, white spaces)!