AS Pro 9.1 delays when Start and End frames set to 0

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AS Pro 9.1 delays when Start and End frames set to 0

Post by 94253 »

When I'm drawing I sometimes hit Spacebar accidentally, and before I know it I'm manipulating points on frame 100 instead of frame 0. I thought a genius way to avoid this would be to set the Start and End frames to 0 in the project properties. That way when I hit Spacebar nothing happens.

The problem with this is AS Pro becomes unresponsive for some reason. I'll click to select another layer and nothing will happen for 5 to 7 seconds. I'll use a File or Edit menu option and there is a 5 to 7 second delay before Undo, Redo, Save, etc. actually happens. Setting the Start and End frames back to numbers greater than 0 resolves this problem, and performance goes back to normal.

I'm using AS Pro 9.1 on OS X Mountain Lion. I tested starting in both 64-bit and 32-bit modes.

This sort of sounds like a bug of some sort, but I see now AS Pro is up to like 9.5 or something so maybe the problem no longer exists in the updated version. Can anyone confirm whether that is the case? I've been meaning to update AS and also OS X to Mavericks, but haven't had the time to look into any of that yet.
heyvern

Re: AS Pro 9.1 delays when Start and End frames set to 0

Post by heyvern »

I am using 9.5 and can't set both start and end to frame 0. It always defaults to 1 and 1. This is probably a change to the behavior in 9.5 but it's just a guess. Also, the defaulting to "1 and 1" is only for files with out a lot of animation... a blank test file. Most other files I tried this on that have a lot of animation and actions setting the end frame to 0 has NO effect, it jumps back to the original end frame value. I think this is due to actions that have their own "length". It could be that the main time line has to be a minimum length to account for actions time line lengths.

Another option you could try is the.... can't recall the name of it... the "looping" markers feature. This is a way to set a section of the time line to loop without changing the start and end frames.

I'm on mac not sure the equivalent modifier for windows, but I COMAND+LEFT CLICK on the time line to set the loop start (timeline marker is green) or COMMAND+RT CLICK to set the loop end frame (time line marker is red).

If I set the start frame back to 1 (not 0) and set the "loop end" marker on frame 1 and hit space it won't play. It just stays on frame 1. This at least would eliminate adding keys waaaaaayyy down the time line as you described. You can easily copy key changes from frame 1 back to 0 if this happens.

I also mistakenly create keys on later frames, but simply copy them to zero as needed.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

On Windows you can set both start and end frames as zero, in the project settings. This automatically extends/shortens the timeline to the last keyframe.

9.5 did remedy a performance loss with both set to zero.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

It's defaulting to 1 here when I set it to 0...

Post by 94253 »

Thanks for the replies! I'll try to update soon, but for now I'll use that looping trick and just copy from 1 to 0 as needed. :)