Point rounding bug

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Point rounding bug

Post by dkwroot »

This is a bug that makes it so that the user can't make a point rounded.
synthsin75

Re: Point rounding bug

Post by synthsin75 »

That is not a bug. That is bad construction. If you need to adjust a curvature through a point, you need to make sure you have a continuous curve through that point. I use this all the time to isolate curvatures that I don't want to effect any connected line as it's animated.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

synthsin75 wrote:That is not a bug. That is bad construction. If you need to adjust a curvature through a point, you need to make sure you have a continuous curve through that point. I use this all the time to isolate curvatures that I don't want to effect any connected line as it's animated.
I'd hardly call it bad construction, I made a slip and accidentally connected two points and then discovered this curiosity. I do a lot of coding, so I've got a rough idea of how they constructed this and why this problem is occurring and I highly doubt it's a feature as much as it's an oversight. Regardless of the usefulness that you might have found in this, I still think it's a bug or at the very least a loose end that needs to be tidied up.

Essentially, the program is currently unable to receive angle information from a new line after the line that it was previously attached to is deleted. In other words, Anime Studio treats the point as an end and is unable to transfer angle information from a second line that may still be attached to it. This could be fixed if the action of deleting a point activates a new subroutine that checks to see if the point that was attached to the deleted point is attached to yet another point. If this returns true, the angle data could be transferred and the alteration would be seamless allowing curvature control.

Now, if you're interested in keeping things as the status quo, that's perfectly acceptable. I just don't think anyone would argue against adding a checkbox that would allow a feature like what I just described to be used in case little slip ups occur in a drawing. This would beat the heck out of having to delete the points in question, redraw them, then having to reselect the points and creating the object. This is progress!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No, disagree as well this is not a "bug" but a much needed and necessary feature of Anime Studio.

In the image below you see the exact same construction you did "by accident" but I use all the time on purpose to both have separate connections and also can easily "smooth" the connect by extending the vector on either side with additional points:

There is no need to have "misconnected" points continue the curve, and in reality we would not WANT that behavior. It's very very easy to simply continue the point but not include in the shape. If you actually connected those end points to the curve you would end up with the "discontinuous" connected vector points AND have a perfectly joined smooth curve that behaves exactly as you want it to.

In this image I connected the extension points and have both a curved and peaked point exactly as you expect to have in your example. Moving the connected point will maintain a perfectly seamlessly smooth curve.

In the next image the points are not connected which allows movement of the points to create independent curvature control on that single point not possible if it was "fixed" or only having "peaked" or "smooth" for that point.

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

dkwroot wrote:I'd hardly call it bad construction, I made a slip and accidentally connected two points and then discovered this curiosity. I do a lot of coding, so I've got a rough idea of how they constructed this and why this problem is occurring and I highly doubt it's a feature as much as it's an oversight. Regardless of the usefulness that you might have found in this, I still think it's a bug or at the very least a loose end that needs to be tidied up.
Yes, you "made a slip" and then you created your shape without correcting your mistake. That is the definition of user error, and most definitely bad construction.
Essentially, the program is currently unable to receive angle information from a new line after the line that it was previously attached to is deleted. In other words, Anime Studio treats the point as an end and is unable to transfer angle information from a second line that may still be attached to it. This could be fixed if the action of deleting a point activates a new subroutine that checks to see if the point that was attached to the deleted point is attached to yet another point. If this returns true, the angle data could be transferred and the alteration would be seamless allowing curvature control.
Wrong. It is not "the program" that does not recognize curvature input, it is a specifically defined curve end point that cannot. Point curvature is not independent of the curves that curvature is applied to, and the curve passing through a point must be continuous for that point to effect it. It is senseless to insist that the end of a curve accommodate curvature. This is like saying that since a rope can be curved so should its very end be capable of being curved. This is complete nonsense, as an end is a point-like object that has no extension that can be curved.

But lucky, if you do so much coding, you can study the API and write a tool that does whatever it is you think you need. Have you even looked at the API?
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

@Vern
Aha! I see what you mean, that can be pretty useful. :D
The problem I had was that when a line curves in on itself and then the points that initially lead into the curve is removed the user ends up with a point that has no curve despite the fact that the point is connected to two different points. I figured this was a bug, but it seems this is a feature or at least a side effect of it. Thanks for the explanation!

@Synthsin75
Hmm, I see what you mean. I already wrote some scripts for folks, I'm starting to mess with this one right now. Thanks for your time.