NO DISK Bug: Cause, Workaround, Suggested fix

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bill_lake

NO DISK Bug: Cause, Workaround, Suggested fix

Post by bill_lake »

Anime Studio Pro 9 Bug:

Symptom:
Anime Studio Pro (9.0, 9.1, 9.2) triggers a windows no disk error: "No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into the drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 error."

Cause:
Anime Studio Pro (9.x) .anme file retains the last referenced .dat file that a switch folder was linked to as an absolute path. If that path is on a drive that is not available (such as if it is stored on an F drive that is no longer connected, or if the file is used by another animator that doesn't have an F drive) then Windows pops the error.

Problem:
Once the "no disk" error is presented, the .anme file can no longer be animated without an endless error loop. The error is usually presented when editing points within the switch folder that contains the .dat reference. Linking the phoneme switch folder to an audio file instead of a .dat file does not remove the reference to the .dat file in the .anme file. Clearing animation from the switch folder doesn't remove the path reference.

Recommend fix:
- update the app so it doesn't retain the reference to the .dat after keyframes are set, OR
- allow for a dynamic link to the .dat but create a method for removing the link and it's reference..

Workaround:
- We found two workarounds:
- 1) open the .anme file with notepad, find the switch folder reference to the .dat file and delete the line of code
- 2) link to a new .dat file (perhaps it has just a rest symbol) before using the lip-synch feature

example:
- this code below is from a character file that has switch phonemes and the file is handled by multiple animators on different machines, some of which do not have an F drive. Those without an F drive cannot do their work on with the file.
-------
### switch layer values
expanded true
switch_data "F:/_work/ClicFlic/audio/Alison_Janice 01.dat"
switch_interpolation false
switch_keys
[
keys 1
0 0 0.1 0.5 1 0 0 "rest"
-------------
The line "switch data "F:/..." is the line causing the problem.

In our case, we have one character designer who created a lot of characters. He tested them using the same .dat file that is on his F drive. A team of animators use these character .anme files in the production pipeline. They lip-synch by linking the phoneme switch layer to an imported audio file -- they don't use a .dat file (for us it is substantially faster). Those animators without an F drive cannot use the character files without the endless "no disk" error, which prevents them from completing the animation.
Bill
gokhantonyukuk

Re: NO DISK Bug: Cause, Workaround, Suggested fix

Post by gokhantonyukuk »

Hello. Thanks for the information. I had the same problem when I switch computer for my Anime Studio 8 project. I had an image imported for my project & I didn't need it anymore(I was using it for color picking). I deleted this & problem solved. Also, if you're patient you can change the source file cliking on "continue", this should help too. Either way, problem goes away.
youtube.com/user/GrammonToon
grammontoon.blogspot.com
facebook.com/grammontoon
twitter.com/grammontoon
gokhantonyukuk.deviantart.com