Issue rendering large scale image (8000 x 6400)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HBCoffin

Issue rendering large scale image (8000 x 6400)

Post by HBCoffin »

Hello,

I'm currently having an issue rendering large scale images in Anime Studio Pro. Before you're wondering why I would want to render an image at such a large scale, let me explain. Prior to obtaining a copy of Illustrator, I used Anime Studio for two things; animation and vector based imaging. I would render large scale images of artwork I made in Anime Studio Pro (5) and import them into photoshop for large scale printing. I recently purchased a new computer (Apple) 'cause the monitor on my old computer went dead on me and is under repair (PC). My girlfriend also recently bought me a copy of Anime Studio Pro 7, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, whether it's the current version or my new OS. I cannot try rendering the image in ASP5 in Mac OS 'cause I only had that version installed on my PC by a friend, so I only have access to ASP7 (which I would rather use anyway). I didn't have this problem before under Windows running ASP5. Here's what's happening...

When I render an image at 8000x6400, I can see the image begin to render out just fine, up until completion. As it comes to an end, I have the original image underneath what appears to be CMYK overlays of the original image fragmented over the actual rendering. Here's an example:

The only actual color you can see here is the thin strip down the middle of the image. Everything else is due to a sort of "burn" effect from overlays non-existent throughout the project.

Now, as I decrease the resolution, the overlays begin to space away from the actual rendering:

Now you can see more of the actual image, but the overlays are still in the frame. What was once a small strip is now a larger gap in the center of the frame. This was set at 6000 x 4800.

Here's what the image should look like:

This was set at 3000 x 2400 (still set pretty high, but not as high as I would like it to be).

What is going on exactly? The only thing I changed between each rendering were the dimensions. The overlays you see in the first two images do not exist. As I said before I can see the image render completely fine at higher dimensions, but for some reason, as it nears completion, the overlays show up and render into the final product.

I am stumped. I have no clue how to solve the issue, where to look on the forum or if this has ever been addressed. Let me remind you that I did not have this issue running Anime Studio Pro 5 under Windows XP; the problem has been present running Anime Studio Pro 7 under Mac OS (brand new iMac, running 10.6.6).

Please let me know if there is some way I can solve the issue or if it's something I'll be forced to work around. I'd rather not have to recreate the images in illustrator, I just love drawing in Anime Studio.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

What is the file size of the 8000x6400 image and what is the file size of the 3000x2400?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

I just wanted to add that this is happening with every file when I try to set the dimensions this high (even tested with the StartupFile.anme-exact same results, so I know it's not something I've done with my personal files). Note that I have not changed any default settings in Anime Studio either, as I just installed the program recently and have just started working with it on my new desktop.
HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

sbtamu wrote:What is the file size of the 8000x6400 image and what is the file size of the 3000x2400?
The file size of the .anme file or the rendered .png? The .anme file is 283 KB and I don't think altering the dimensions changes that (if I were to save the .anme file with either settings). The 8000 x 6400 .png is 2.3 MB and the 3000 x 2400 .png is 627 KB.

The image appears as shown when the rendering is complete. Saving the file between .png and .jpg has not altered the results.

Although, I forgot to mention, when I attempt to copy the rendering to my clipboard, I get a blank image when posting the image on a new canvas in Photoshop (image size is set at 8000 x 6400 when pasting an 8000 x 6400 rendering).

Edit: The image seems to be copying to the clipboard and pasting in Photoshop just fine at 3000 x 2400, but anytime the image is rendered at dimensions high enough to the point at which these "overlays" enter the frame, I just get a blank canvas copied to my clipboard.
Last edited by HBCoffin on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

I can only guess that this is the result of a ram issue, perhaps? Have you tried setting the dimensions that you want in the file, closing it, and using batch export? Might be worth a shot.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I get a blank render when I try 8000x6400. But at 6000x4800 it works OK. I have no solution, sorry.
Sorry for bad animation

HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

b15fliptop wrote:I can only guess that this is the result of a ram issue, perhaps? Have you tried setting the dimensions that you want in the file, closing it, and using batch export? Might be worth a shot.
I do not think this is a ram issue. I was rendering images this high on a 3 year old laptop with nearly 4 GB of ram (it actually had 4 GB, but for some reason the Allienware chipset only made use of 3.XX GB). I'm currently running on a brand new iMac, 27" 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

The images are rendering very quickly on my new desktop in comparison to my old laptop. As I said before, I can see the actual image render just fine. It renders out just as it should, and then for some reason, as the rendering is near completion, the two overlays pop up out of nowhere. If anything, the computer is processing MORE information loading those additional image overlays.
HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

sbtamu wrote:I get a blank render when I try 8000x6400. But at 6000x4800 it works OK. I have no solution, sorry.
Strange, you get a completely blank render at 8000 x 6400? What do you mean by "OK?" at 6000 x 4800? Are you getting a clean render or are there overlays present? What ver. are you running and are you running on Mac OS or Windows?
b15fliptop wrote:I can only guess that this is the result of a ram issue, perhaps? Have you tried setting the dimensions that you want in the file, closing it, and using batch export? Might be worth a shot.
I tried using batch export and it worked! Very strange, don't know why, but it worked. I don't use batch export often, so I didn't even think to try. Looks like this will be my best bet when rendering large scale images. Still, it'd be nice if they address the issue in the next ver. of Anime Studio Pro. I hate bugs. :roll:

So, for future reference to anyone else who may have a similar issue and wish to render large scale images in Anime Studio...

Solution:

When attempting to render large scale images in Anime Studio Pro 7 at higher dimensions (i.e. 8000 x 6400), save the file with the project settings set at the desired dimensions and use the batch export tool to get a solid rendering in the desired format of choice.

Tip:

To render a still frame image in the desired image format (.jpg, .png, .psd), set the project settings to have the same start and end frame or the batch export will render an image file for each and every frame set in the project settings (i.e. you'll end up with 72 .png files if your file is set at the default settings). This must be set and saved in the .anme file to work; altering the start and end frames under the batch export options will not alter the amount of frames set for rendering. Also, an error will occur if you attempt to export any more than a single frame in .psd format.

I hope this may come of help to someone in the future.

Thanks again for the tip to use the batch export option! This is even better since batch export actually allows you to render the image in .psd format. Now if only you could export in .ai, perhaps in Anime Studio Pro 8?
Last edited by HBCoffin on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Thanks b15:
I was just about to test batch. :D :D :D

HBCoffin:
I am glad you found a solution. I never got the render results you got but I only tested a single color shape made in AS saved as Jpeg and imported it back as an image and rendered at 8000x6400 and got a blank render. At 6000x4800 I got a good render but still nothing like the problem you had.

Windows XP single core.
Sorry for bad animation

b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Glad you got it sorted out!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

b15:

On a side note, I have always been impressed with your audio on your animations. Absolutely no back ground noise...

Do you record in a sound booth?
Sorry for bad animation

HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

sbtamu wrote:Thanks b15:
I was just about to test batch. :D :D :D

HBCoffin:
I am glad you found a solution. I never got the render results you got but I only tested a single color shape made in AS saved as Jpeg and imported it back as an image and rendered at 8000x6400 and got a blank render. At 6000x4800 I got a good render but still nothing like the problem you had.

Windows XP single core.
Thanks for your report. It could be an issue with Mac OS.
b15fliptop wrote:Glad you got it sorted out!
Indeed, thanks again!

Funny, seems like there's a lot of native Texans here on the board. :P
HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

sbtamu wrote:b15:

On a side note, I have always been impressed with your audio on your animations. Absolutely no back ground noise...

Do you record in a sound booth?
+1

I haven't seen your animations b15, but I'd love to know what program you use to mix your audio, as I was previously using Fruity Loops, but since I got my new Apple, I'd like to know if there's a better option on this side of the spectrum.

I've been looking into this mic for recording, perhaps you might be interested as well sbtamu:

Blue Microphones Yeti THX USB Microphone
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Thanks, guys.

I do all of the recording/mixing/etc. in Logic. It comes with a bunch of great effects plugins, but I always use a third party plug called Voxengo Voxformer. It has everything you need for vocal stuff in one plug: compresssion, eq, noise gate. Costs about $70, but worth it if you do a lot of recording.

HBCoffin, you might want to look at Logic Express. For $199 it will do pretty much anything you need it to do, and without any third party plugs, as it comes with a bunch of really good ones. Very easy to use, too.

As far as mics go, I use one that you might not think of for this application, the Shure SM58. It's actually a tried and true live vocal mic, and not generally considered a voice-over mic. I had some condensers that I was using originally, which is what everyone will tell you to get, but I was having problems with background noise and bleed because all of the actors were recording together in my small living room. When I explained my problem to a bunch of pro audio guys they surprised me by recommending the SM58's, and they have worked out great. Cheap, too! You can find them for under $100 just about anywhere as they've been a live music staple for decades.

Hope that helps!
HBCoffin

Post by HBCoffin »

b15fliptop wrote:Thanks, guys.

I do all of the recording/mixing/etc. in Logic. It comes with a bunch of great effects plugins, but I always use a third party plug called Voxengo Voxformer. It has everything you need for vocal stuff in one plug: compresssion, eq, noise gate. Costs about $70, but worth it if you do a lot of recording.

HBCoffin, you might want to look at Logic Express. For $199 it will do pretty much anything you need it to do, and without any third party plugs, as it comes with a bunch of really good ones. Very easy to use, too.

As far as mics go, I use one that you might not think of for this application, the Shure SM58. It's actually a tried and true live vocal mic, and not generally considered a voice-over mic. I had some condensers that I was using originally, which is what everyone will tell you to get, but I was having problems with background noise and bleed because all of the actors were recording together in my small living room. When I explained my problem to a bunch of pro audio guys they surprised me by recommending the SM58's, and they have worked out great. Cheap, too! You can find them for under $100 just about anywhere as they've been a live music staple for decades.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the help!

I thought about investing in Logic, but wasn't sure if it was the right thing I should be looking into. That'll definitely be my next purchase in the software department.

I know exactly what mic you're talking about, used to have a few of those on hand back at home as a matter of fact, never even thought to try using one for recording though. How do you wire the mic to your system? I have a small mixer I've been using that I would plug in via the microphone jack on my old laptop. I was looking to upgrade to the Yeti so I could just plug 'n play via USB without having to worry about excess wires and what not.