Random runtime crashes

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Random runtime crashes

Post by chucky »

See this, I do all the time?
I'm about to go to a shrink about it, 'cos surely aspro 7 is stable and this is all in my head.

I just don't know how many times this has popped up over the last month/ week/ day/ hour, even.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it, the same file will crash on render and then when reopened (the same exact saved file) will render fine.
I'd like to demonstrate why and it's certainly happened enough times for some patterns to emerge which I have posted about when I have had this warning on earlier occasions,- inclusion of .movs, particles in sequencer, but for some files there seems to be no explanation or consistency at all.
win 7 x 64
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Do you by chance have Adobe Premiere pro installed? There is an issue with the problem you are getting with Adobe Premiere installed on win7 64.

Also have you updated the latest version of flash?

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
chucky

Post by chucky »

There is an issue with the problem you are getting with Adobe Premiere installed on win7 64.
Thanks sbtamu,.. an issue with premier? That's just crazy!-not you- the fact is.

Anyway no I don't use premier, and flash is up to date.
Is the premier conflict likely to exist with other adobe products, after effects for example?
What about vegas pro, painter or quicktime ,firefox or windows 7 ?
Is it compatible with my lifestyle perhaps? Maybe working during certain hours of the day are causing a conflict... all things are possible it seems.
DK

Post by DK »

Hey Chucky.
All I could find online was this old Win 7 Beta thread.

http://windows.bigresource.com/Track-windows7-4t3GUazj/

At least it says it has a solution.
Aaaargh!
D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks Dk, this only affects ASSpro at the moment, it's also a brand new custom built and tested machine using standard mid high specs from a very reliable company.
I'm four days of a deadline so playing with the OS is out of the question right now. Also I am highly suspicious of the reinstall windows option and i believe it is more than often a waste of time, I would be very surprised if this was the problem.
Thanks again DK, N.B. that posted problem was win 7 beta.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Ok It *has* to be something to do with multicore machines, here is an example of a render gone wrong.
notice how it crashes halfway through frame 17 when 28 is already done.
Why would it suddenly crash.
This better not kill my deadline cos I can't give back the deposit.
@#$@$%^!!!

Ok edit.... I just spotted the weirdest thing, I get the runtime error, but in fact the render is actually still going, it quits rendering when I close the app in response to the runtime warning and the frozen render screen, in actual fact it is still rendering! weeeeeeiiiird.

Another edit... It seems this is only the case with rendering stills, otherwise the crash is full no successful render to mov . Don't have time to be testing software now!!!! AAARRGGHH
chucky

SOLVE

Post by chucky »

I just worked out how to get around this, when the runtime crash starts occurring, open a new anme file and import the objects, fro the crashing project this will refresh something in the file and rendering will be possible again.

This also proves that it is indeed anime that is writing something into it's own file that causes the crash, nothing to do with windows or the files used in the project.
I have had to do this a couple of times tonight, I am still not exactly sure what causes the freakout I have a suspicion though that there is a relationship with the start point of files added to the project and the crash, in particular something to do with the sequencer.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Try this:
Select an offending file and place it in an empty folder (if the file needs other external resources place all them too in the same folder).
Then change the folder properties to allow only read rights for regular users and need to ask administrator permit for writing. Try to reproduce the problem again and check that Anime Studio is modifying your input file. If true then it is a very very bad issue. :(

-G
chucky

Post by chucky »

Genete wrote:Try this:
Select an offending file and place it in an empty folder (if the file needs other external resources place all them too in the same folder).
Then change the folder properties to allow only read rights for regular users and need to ask administrator permit for writing. Try to reproduce the problem again and check that Anime Studio is modifying your input file. If true then it is a very very bad issue. :(

-G
Sorry Genete, I don't think I explained this clearly enough.
Anime has not changed my input files but it *does* make it's own .anme project file erroneous.
If I remove the anime objects that I need from the .anme file they are housed in and import to a fresh anme project, the the error stops.

Oh and BTW it *is* a very very bad issue, has caused me days and days of hair pulling agony.
chucky

Post by chucky »

OK this worked for a while now as the project is nearing its completion the fix no longer works.

Its making me sick with anger.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Just an additional note, Ctrl r renders work perfectly and f5 renders also work, it is only the multi-core main render that crashes.

Surely SM know about this, where is the patch????
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

chucky wrote:Just an additional note, Ctrl r renders work perfectly and f5 renders also work, it is only the multi-core main render that crashes.

Surely SM know about this, where is the patch????
This is true chucky, There is something wrong with multi-core renders since 7.x release. It seems that the multi-core rendering addition to AS7 is a blame for a number of bugs.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
chucky

Post by chucky »

Mwaahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!

I freakn found the rather crappy solution, but it works!
Disable the second third and fourth cpu's, it runs like a dog and takes foooooorever to render but NO CRASH.
go to msconfig , go to the boot tab and check the number of processors to 1.
Restart and off you go.

Shame on the beta testers for not finding this, I have spend DAYS trying to get through this freaking nightmare and am absolutely furious about this oversight, it could have cost me a deadline and a hefty deposit.
DK

Post by DK »

Wow....great work around chucky. No offence to Mike but I always use 5.6 for any important work. It had a good 5 years of solid thumping so all the bugs are pretty well known and minimal. Every time I touched 6 and 7 I ended up having to redo everything in 5.6.

Cheers
D.K
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Sticking with 5.6 for now has apparently been the right decision for me. So the most stable trustworthy AS release - was two releases ago. Multicore rendering was touted as a big feature with this release. Apparently its more like a bear trap for commercial animators. Wow.