QuickTime H.264 codec crashes Moho

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RASH

QuickTime H.264 codec crashes Moho

Post by RASH »

I've installed QuickTime 7 on my Mac OS X 10.3.9 and the new H.264 codec crashes Moho. The other H.26x codecs run fine.

Here is part of the crash log:

Code: Select all

Command: Moho
Path:    /Applications/Moho/Moho.app/Contents/MacOS/Moho
Version: 5.1.1 (5.0)
PID:     385
Thread:  2

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x26641016
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

I had the same experience. It's too bad, as I output the animation as a series of images and rendered a Quicktime movie with H.264 and the file was 1.8 MB, compared to the same animation rendered with the "animation" settings, which was 8 MB!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

"Animation" is a terrible codec for final output anyway. There's no way it can compare to H.264. You could try using Sorenson 3 - I haven't tried the new H.264 yet, but Sorenson 3 is a very good codec.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

We haven't figured out yet if this is a bug in Moho, or QuickTime, but here's a kind-of workaround:

When exporting H.264 video, in the QuickTime Compression Settings dialog turn off the "Key frame every" checkbox. If that box is turned on, QuickTime will crash. Turn it off and you can export H.264 video.
RASH

Post by RASH »

Thanks, LM, that really helped!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Update: Apple has released QuickTime 7.0.1. Unfortunately, the bug with H.264 is not quite fixed. Instead of QuickTime crashing, now it just creates a movie with a single frame. Still, if you turn off the "Key frame every" checkbox, you can create a valid H.264 movie from Moho.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Lost Marble wrote:"Animation" is a terrible codec for final output anyway. There's no way it can compare to H.264. You could try using Sorenson 3 - I haven't tried the new H.264 yet, but Sorenson 3 is a very good codec.
When you say that it is terrible, do you mean that it creates large files, or that the image quality is lousy?
Dave
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Both, actually. I know it's designed for "animation", but it seems to me that the quality is really bad. Unless, of course you set it to "best" quality - then it's actually lossless (perfect quality), but the file size is really big.

I don't know if it's been improved over the years, but the Animation codec is very old - it may even date back to QuickTime 1. More modern codecs like the Sorenson family do much better in both quality and file size.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I use the animation codec for composting since I can get an alpha channel, (then, when I do a final render, it's in sorensen 3). Is there a better codec that will give me an alpha channel? I'm working in windows under VMware.

Of course, all of this will be moot when there is an output format for linux that allows for an alpha channel.... hint hint.... :)
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I used Animation codec too (for the name, of course), but since I discover PNG codec (thanks to the Moho tutorials) I use it for compositing with Alpha chanel, and finaly use DV or MPEG for final render, CIAO...
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Ramón----so you are making Moho animations!
Post them here for us to see! :D
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

No... :( My animation time and experiments finish and now I am trying to print my :cry: unanimated :cry: characters to have something to show in the presentation of my "school" proyect, I've been too much time trying to do the characters go on "perfectly" and now I have no time to animate'em, a pity-REpity... I posted that because are the codecs that I've used in some of that experiments, and worked fine for me, but I think that I wait to have something more interesting to show, or something finish at least... BYE!

PD: Jaja, THANK YOU again for all that interest!!! :)