PNG transparency missing on Mac OS X Leopard version

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

I just noticed this bug two. That's annoying to be obliged to use the Export Animation to save a single frame. :?
________
Mac Games
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Yes DominiqueBray. That it takes time away from the workflow is also annoying.
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, this is a bug... it needs to be fixed.

Also saving as Targa doesn't get an alpha... it gets the alpha but it is "blank".

-vern
NetGenSuperstar

Post by NetGenSuperstar »

Certainly I agree that this bug should be fixed, but I should also mention that I never noticed it, since I always saved still images using "Export Animation" anyway. I don't know why.

Another thing, though, while we're on the subject. Why is it that when I save a single frame using "Export Animation," it creates one 0KB file with the name filename.png, and another named filename0000.png which is the real image? What's with the erroneous blank file? Note that this example is when rendering only frame 0, but rendering frames 1 to 6 did the same thing.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've noticed that "zero k" file.

I've seen this in other animation programs as well. I think it is because of the nature of saving to an image sequence. Maybe there needs to be some kind of temporary file to start from? Something that has some kind of "reference". I wonder if that file is used during the process somehow or it changes? I keep forgetting to check the date stamp on that file to see if it has a later time of modification than the other files.

I'm just making wild assumptions of course. I've seen this with other programs and always wondered about why it is needed.

It can be annoying if you use a program to load a numbered sequence because it "chokes" on that one image so you have to either "skip it" if the software lets you or delete it first.

-vern
NetGenSuperstar

I doubt having a physical file is necessary as a reference, at least not for the program rendering the sequence. Maybe some programs import an image sequence by having the user select that file as opposed to the one with the frame numbers attached to the end. For example, maybe some applications will use that blank file to get the filename, and then simply search for any files with that name plus the frame numbers, instead of having the user search for the first image in the sequence themselves. I don't see why that would be necessary, but it's a possibility.

If it's just a temporary file like you're thinking, then not only should it be deleted after the rendering is finished, but it should be stored in the operating system's temporary directory in the first place. Even so, I checked the file numerous times during rendering, and after completion. Not only did the time stamp never change, but the file was never above zero K, so it never held any data at all. Also, I tried deleting it immediately after it was created, and it never came back, nor did the rendering fail in any way. Unless my theory above is correct, that file is completely unnecessary.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It didn't come back after deleting it?

Wow... I never noticed that before... although I have a vague recollection of that in some tired old brain cells I must have used to store episodes of "Dexter" and it didn't overwrite all the data. ;)

p.s. I wish we could reformat our brains... put important stuff in areas that are closer to the front so we can find it easier. ;)

-vern
NetGenSuperstar

Microsoft Brain Defragmenter 2054 - Home Edition. Coming Soon...
Samb

Post by Samb »

OH MY GOD!!!! :shock:

Since AS5.6 I never made a picture where I needed the alpha channel.
But today is one of those holy alpha channel days and man... where did my wonderfull alpha channel go :(
lost marble, please fix ist as quick as you can.. this is so annoying.. yes, there is a workaround.. but its so much slower when you need to test out some things..