Reproducible Crash Bug on rendering entire scene ASP 5.6

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tungsten

Still doesn't work

Post by Tungsten »

Whenever I try to export a file Anime Studio crashes. The only time it works is when a export a tiny three second or less file made after I bought the program. None of the files I made using the demo export. I downloaded the file to fix the problem, but whenever I try to open it, it crashes. I need to finish an important animation for school and I could really use some help.
montblankdesign

crashing

Post by montblankdesign »

what platform are you on?
Mac or PC?

If you are on a Mac you probably need the mystery update.
take a look below from the thread:

Reproducible Crash Bug on rendering entire scene ASP 5.6

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:32 pm Post subject:
OK, I've got an update...

I've uploaded some new application files that I believe fix the export crashing bug on the Mac. This is NOT an "official" release. I'd first like to get confirmation from users who have experienced the crash to see if it fixes the problem. So if you have had an export crash on Mac, please try one of these files and let me know how it goes. You can download them here:

Anime Studio:
http://www.lostmarble.com/downloads/AS_ ... bugfix.zip

Anime Studio Pro:
http://www.lostmarble.com/downloads/ASP ... bugfix.zip

These are only for Mac (no export crash on Windows), and are not full installers. If you unzip the package, you'll see just the main application file. Simply replace the existing "Anime Studio.app" or "Anime Studio Pro.app" file in the application folder.

Again, please let me know if export works properly for you after installing the new app file.

Thanks,

-Mike

P.S.
As a bonus, exports may be a little bit faster. Plus, I've added a little bit of sharpening to image layers. If you were following the thread about the sharpness of image layers, feel free to try that out with this build as well.
I do cartoons and make music. I like to make music because John K is not likely to tell me I am doing it wrong.
clayton77

PowerPC Specific?

Post by clayton77 »

I just was wondering if anyone else ran into this.

On my PowerMac G5 (powerpc dual-core processor 2.0Ghz, 5.5GB RAM), probably 60% to 80% percent of the time i export, the program crashes, even if it's a measly 320x240 short little clip. But on my plain jane MacBook Intel core duo (1.83Ghz, 1.0GB RAM), I can export 960x540 longer clips with several effects, and I haven't had one crash yet. My G5 is a much more powerful machine and I run a ton of Pro Video Apps on it with no problems.

So I'm thinking this issue is specific to PowerPC processor based Macs.
I'm not sure if the other posters are using powerpc or intel macs. Anyone else's experiences support this theory?

btw, i was running leopard 10.5.2 (and more recently 10.5.3) on both of these machines)
PowerMac G5 Leopard 10.5.3
clayton77

Seems to be working better now

Post by clayton77 »

I downloaded and installed the fix, and it seems to have worked so far (knock on wood). And it does seem to export a little faster. I hope this fix is included in the next official release. Thank you very much!
PowerMac G5 Leopard 10.5.3
montblankdesign

crashes in Export

Post by montblankdesign »

Great news. I have had no further bugs. However I waited until today to install 10.5.3. I also say the new manual book, and though I am past most of the techniques I recommend it. Goood Luck
I do cartoons and make music. I like to make music because John K is not likely to tell me I am doing it wrong.
squarebox

Post by squarebox »

Lost Marble wrote:Again, please let me know if export works properly for you after installing the new app file.
thank you very much for this fix...
i install 10.5 leopard quite a few months ago, and anime studio started crashing every time i tried to export anything so i stopped using it because i thought i'd have to downgrade back to 10.4 tiger to get it to work...
i figured i'd give it another try, and found this thread and installed the version you've linked and it exported awesomely...

i figured i'd join the forum so that way i could say much thanks to you mike, :D

ps i really hope you guys put that in an official release soon
Jules

Rendering Bug

Post by Jules »

Thank you so much! Worked for me!
Sorted out the crash problem totally.
Much appreciated :)
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

This seems to have fixed it for me. If this is version 6.5, why doesn't smithmicro's 6.5 update fix the problem? :(

I'm gonna give it a few more days. If my project gets bigger and it still doesn't crash, I'll try and comb the internet re-directing users who complain about the crash bug to this thread. I just started using Anime Studio the other day, and I was quite angry about the mac support until I discovered this thread.

It's a great product, *excellent* design, but the crash bug on export was a real deal-breaker.

Good to know it's been sorted!
a1foster

Exporting

Post by a1foster »

I am new to Anime Studio and use a Mac. Nearly 80% of the time I exported it crashed. I downloaded the fix and so far it seems to be working. Thanks!
Allen
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I'm on an Intel iMac running OSX 10.4.11 and yesterday was the first time I ever experienced a crash upon exporting in ASP 5.6. I downloaded and installed the bugfix and it worked.

Thanks, Mike!
oliver43

Post by oliver43 »

I have suffered from exporting crashes on my mac but found that if I render my animations thru the 'batch export' window everything works fine, plus you can keep working while it renders...
Konnichiwa

THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER!

Post by Konnichiwa »

I was working on making a movie project for class until anime studio started cashing upon export. I could only make measly videos kept at the default settings not longer then 128 frames... it was ridiculous! I even contacted technichal suport and they didn't do a very good job helping me. I thought I was a goner until I installed this. It really does work and I was able to export my videos without issues!

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN! :mrgreen:

-Konnichiwa
-"Hatred, by a gradual and quiet process, will even be transformed to love, unless the change be impeded by a continually new irritation of the original feeling of hostility"
Hawthorne, 145
jessicomic

Cannot use fix

Post by jessicomic »

Hey! I'm trying to use the fix for Anime Studio on my mac and when I try to replace my copy of the app with the fix it says:

"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I have a paid for, legitimate copy of anime studio that I don't know much about.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Cannot use fix

Post by Lost Marble »

jessicomic wrote:"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."
This sounds like a message from the operating system. Are you running as an administrator, or a regular user? MacOS may be trying to prevent you from changing anything in the /Applications folder. Try logging in as an administrator and updating Anime Studio, and I think this message will go away.