Tools Window not there???

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

woodynt

Tools Window not there???

Post by woodynt »

Hi all,

I dont know if this is a bug or just the way it has to be ...

In OSX 10.3.7 logging in as an Admin User and opening MOHO everthing functions normally. However log out and log back in as any non-admin User and the Tools Window is just a tiny empty window. ("Tools" up the top of a tiny window just big enough to fit the text "Tools")

Is it just not possible to run Moho from a normal user account?

cheers

Woodynt
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

It is possible to run Moho as a regular user.

Inside the Moho program folder is a sub-folder called "scripts". The tools are contained inside this folder. If this folder (or the files within it) is not readable by regular users, then when they run Moho, Moho will not be able to load the tool scripts. It sounds like this may be what's happening on your computer.

By default, the scripts folder should be readable by anyone, but I would check that to see if it got modified.
woodynt

Post by woodynt »

I have tried repairing permissions and have even copied the MOHO folder to a different partition on the HD and running it from there, but to no avail.

I'm haven't used the terminal a lot but if you tell me how to check permissions I will give it a go. I'm assuming this is what you meant?

thanks
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Actually, no, that's not what I meant. It's easiest just to check/fix it in the Finder.

Go to the Moho program folder. Inside there is a "scripts" folder. Click once on the scripts folder to select it. Then, select the File->Get Info menu command. In the info window that comes up, look at the "Ownership & Permissions" section. Expand the "Details" section to see all the details.

There you will see who owns the folder, and what kind of access others have to it. In the default installation, the access for "Others" should be "Read only". If you were to change it to "No Access", then a regular user would not be able to access the scripts folder, and the tool window would be empty, just like you described.

Be sure that the access for "Others" is set to "Read only", and then click the "Apply to enclosed items" button.

You shouldn't have to go through all this for a standard installation. Did you move Moho around, or install it somewhere different, or anything else you can think of that might have changed the file permissions.
woodynt

Post by woodynt »

Hi thanks for your patience. Please dont shoot the messenger here but with access set to read only it would not work. I tried changing it to read & write and it now works. :)

I am happy with this solution but I just thought I would let you know my experience.

Does setting the access for Others to read&write (like I have done) cause any other major issuers that I should be aware of? I only did it on the MOHO scripts folder.

BTW - MOHO is an awsome product! Well done and many thanks!! :) :)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Strange - here I have it for read-only access (the default), and it work fine for regular, non-administrative users. Read/write should work too, but is unnecessary - Moho does not ever write anything to this directory.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experiences too.