Realikstic 2D Characters wanted (paid)

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Maverick Art Studios

Realikstic 2D Characters wanted (paid)

Post by Maverick Art Studios »

Hello! We are currently looking for anyone skilled in Anime studio who can create different synchronized views of characters. Unlike most 2D characters, realistic human proportions are the main constraint. Remember that the job and wage are not set but all depend on our satisfaction with your work. Please consider the following:
1. Originality. Do not plagiarize or mimic pre existing work
2. Realistic human proportions and shading (More like a DC look as opposed to conventional animations)
3. Bone setup
4. Not to be too colorful; go for a mature look. Use realistic clothing options.

We willing to negotiate wages based on the complexity, realism and detail of character.

If you think this is worth your time email us at senateryongo@gmail.com. And please do send us some images from your portfolio if you have any. Hope to hear from you soon!
synthsin75

Re: Realikstic 2D Characters wanted (paid)

Post by synthsin75 »

Negotiating pay AFTER the work is done is very unprofessional. No one who can do realistic, DC style is going to go for that.
Maverick Art Studios

Our reason for arriving at a figure after the work is done is to pay according to our satisfaction with your work. This means that we may chose to pay more than the agreed amount based on quality of work. This means that we may chose to pay more than the agreed amount based on quality. This does not mean that we do not have an estimated figure. We do not intend to exploit our workers. You can contact us to talk about a minimum wage before the work begins.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Then you would be much better off negotiating the payment and deliverables schedule before work starts and just consider anything beyond that an unspecified completion bonus. And I wouldn't even call it a "minimum wage".
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

"satisfaction with work" is an imponderable. And you can't base a wage structure on that.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I have to agree with synthsin75.

I can't imagine any professional--artist, doctor, plumber, barber, or auto mechanic, just to name a few--agreeing to those terms. It is rather unusual.

Typically, terms are negotiated after the project has been initially discussed between the artist and client, not after the project's execution. Services and assets can be negotiated separately, unless it's a 'work-for-hire' situation, in which case the client is buying all rights outright. In publishing, the artist is usually selling the right to print the artwork but not the ownership of the physical art or the digital assets used to create the art. In film and television, it gets a bit murkier since the studio usually want to own all the assets for on-going productions, so the artist/animator is usually compensated well for giving up all rights to his work.

Payment terms can vary by industry and the interests of each party. When I was freelancing as an illustrator in the educational and commercial art markets, I sometimes got paid by the hour and sometime for each piece of artwork I created--it really depended on the nature and scope the project. When I freelanced for animation and visual fx work for commercials and film, I typically got paid by the hour. Payment schedules could vary--for example, if a flat rate was negotiated, it was usually 50% upfront and 50% on delivery, and if the project was canceled midway, the initial 50% was considered a kill fee. That could be risky for either party but that's only one example of how terms can be negotiated. The important thing is that whatever is agreed upon is put in writing for both parties before any work is done.

What you're basically doing is asking the artist to work on spec. This is generally frowned upon by most professionals who have been around for a while because it very rarely benefits the artist. It's better for both the artist and client to based their suitability on past completed projects, which can be showcased in the artist and client's respective portfolio or demo reel. Remember, the interview process goes both ways--a professional artist will be judging if your project is interesting to them and worth their time.

If you'd like to find out more about common ethical business practices, there are some good books on the topic. Way back when I was a freelance illustrator, my go-to was the Graphic Artists Guild's Pricing and Ethical Guidelines handbook. TBH, I haven't referred to this book in at least a decade but I know it's still being published. The book is updated regularly and you can find it in most bookstores.

I know that was a little rambling (sorry, it's getting late) but I hope some of this info is helpful.

G.
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

The best way to approach this is to provide a pencil sketch of your own characters. You must know EXACTLY how each of your characters should look before modeling, and have even a simple sketch already completed. Then negotiate the cost to model each character in Anime Studio, with front, side, angled and rear views + mouth shapes, eye positions and hand positions etc. Simple formula. :D
Still doing it.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Payment schedules could vary--for example, if a flat rate was negotiated, it was usually 50% upfront and 50% on delivery, and if the project was canceled midway, the initial 50% was considered a kill fee. That could be risky for either party but that's only one example of how terms can be negotiated. The important thing is that whatever is agreed upon is put in writing for both parties before any work is done.

What you're basically doing is asking the artist to work on spec.
Yeah, I typically like the 50% upfront 50% upon delivery, unless the scope of work is so large or client approvals are more regular. Then a more incremental payment/delivery schedule can be set, but generally still with a decent portion up front (because the reality is that you have to make sure the client has enough skin in the game to dissuade cancellation...and for the artist to eat).

I also thought this sounds suspiciously like an on spec job, but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Maverick Art Studios

If you are interested contact us at senateryongo@gmail.com and name your price. We are mainly looking for mature male characters ( in the 20s) Please send us something from your portfolio to evaluate your skill. We can pay 50% before the commencement of the work, but it is only fair that we have a picture from your portfolio to evaluate your skill. As for references, we are going for a Lucas Till look. Again please contact us if you are interested. Thank you!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, that sounds much more reasonable. There's a lot of talented artists here so hopefully someone will contact you soon.

You might also consider breaking the request into two separate tasks: 1. character design and 2. rigging and animation. While it may be ideal to find an artist who can 'do it all', you may find a wider pool of talent to choose from this way. Good luck!

G.