What is a good weekly output for an animator?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

benedetti

What is a good weekly output for an animator?

Post by benedetti »

Hello everyone,

To get a project done, I will need to hire freelance animators. I will provide them with animatics and I will render and edit the movies myself. The rest will need to be delivered by them.

So what would be a reasonable weekly output for an animator? I know there are many variables, but let's say the level of difficulty is low to medium, and the quality I expect is medium to high.

Please, if you can to help me, answer these questions:

1) If a freelancer was only going to design characters, in three views (front, 3/4 and back), how many characters would be reasonable to expect from him or her every week?

2) Same question for rigging. How many characters in three views can I expect if the only task of an animator is rigging?

3) How many background designs would be reasonable to complete in a week?

4) How many seconds of animation would be reasonable to expect from an animator?

Thank you.
slowtiger

Re: What is a good weekly output for an animator?

Post by slowtiger »

Hard to give any reliable number to any of this as long as I don't know the style and the kind of action going on. Some talking head animation is much faster done than any fighting.

Let's assume the designs are done - means, we have final model sheets of each character, the colours are decided, all pre-production work is done, and so on.

Create characters in AS: 2 - 3 views per day, more for very simple characters, less for complex character or complex style (textures, shading, etc.)
Rigging: 2 - 3 views per day. Less if complex character.
BG designs: If not done in AS, I can do 2 to 4 BGs per day. This is highly dependent on style.
Animation: I can do a minute of animation per week with well rigged characters. Less if poorly designed or rigged. Even less if no library of stock movements (mouths, walks) exist, or scenes are storyboarded poorly (poor choices of blocking etc.)

All these don't include any mistakes or change requests, and no rendering.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5