Anyone interested in teaming up?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

ZOMBIES!!!

Post by jahnocli »

Some zombies for ya:
Zombies%20on%20dropbox
My favourite is (A), but maybe we should have a vote? Once one is chosen, I'll do a model sheet.
The other characters are goody-goodies, so less interesting to draw -- maybe I'll make them more guilty-looking or something...
Anyway, enjoy!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
steveryan2

Re: Anyone interested in teaming up?

Post by steveryan2 »

Wow! Amazing drawingsJahnocli!

My favorites are A, B and C. If I had to pick one, I would go with A. I do like the vacant eyes and the decaying nose. B is very similar with the main difference that he does have one eye.

Great work!!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

jahnocli wrote:Some zombies for ya:
Zombies%20on%20dropbox
My favourite is (A), but maybe we should have a vote? Once one is chosen, I'll do a model sheet.
The other characters are goody-goodies, so less interesting to draw -- maybe I'll make them more guilty-looking or something...
Anyway, enjoy!
Need the normal people also, and a storyboard.

Dale
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Those all look awesome!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

lwaxana wrote:Those all look awesome!
Thanks, lwaxana! I'd be very happy for you to do the colour palettes on these -- I've always liked your colour choices. I'm currently working on the less life-impaired characters at the moment...
DK

Post by DK »

Just to let you know I am really enjoying reading this thread and looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers
D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

jahnocli wrote:
lwaxana wrote:Those all look awesome!
Thanks, lwaxana! I'd be very happy for you to do the colour palettes on these -- I've always liked your colour choices. I'm currently working on the less life-impaired characters at the moment...
When you get them done, I will vector and rig them for animation.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks, Dale!
(edit)
Some ordinary characters:
Zombie resistance
---------------------
I like the boundary between realism and cartoon. Didn't like a couple of characters, so didn't highlight them. I'd vote for the two characters at top left, but I'll go with the majority vote or whatever. I can do a few more if you don't like any of these, but after that we get into the law of diminishing returns (and as I'm working for free, those returns are already small!)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

jahnocli wrote:Thanks, Dale!
(edit)
Some ordinary characters:
Zombie resistance
---------------------
I like the boundary between realism and cartoon. Didn't like a couple of characters, so didn't highlight them. I'd vote for the two characters at top left, but I'll go with the majority vote or whatever. I can do a few more if you don't like any of these, but after that we get into the law of diminishing returns (and as I'm working for free, those returns are already small!)
---------------------
It occurred to me that maybe this has been 'buried' a little, so I thought I would quote myself (wouldn't be the first time!) and get these drawings out into the open... my apologies if this transgresses some forum protocol...
DK

Post by DK »

If you don't mind me commenting...Love your drawing style jahnocli particularly the semi realism that number 7 has. It's going to be interesting to see how all these styles translate into AS though. From my experience the duplication always falls short when it comes to that great natural pencil treatment even when using brushes.

Cheers
D.K
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

They look great! My favorite is number 6. I think 2 and 6 would work well for the guys plowing the field and then 1 for the child (if there will still be a child). But I think 2 would probably have some facial hair in a zombie apocalypse scenario. I agree with DK that it will take some careful translation and design decisions to vectorize them in AS.

As for colors, the whole story is set with the sun overhead on a hot day, according to the shot list. So in order to make that moody/scary, I was thinking of bright backgrounds and really darkly shaded, almost silhouetted characters so you feel like you're squinting to see them like in Joseph King of Dreams. Or for a more graphic novel approach, maybe the same silhouetting approach, but with colors closer to black and white with some subtle colors for shading. Either way, I'm thinking lots of contrast. Thoughts?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

One vectored.

I need bodies. standing, knelling, and other poses.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

DK wrote:If you don't mind me commenting...Love your drawing style jahnocli particularly the semi realism that number 7 has. It's going to be interesting to see how all these styles translate into AS though. From my experience the duplication always falls short when it comes to that great natural pencil treatment even when using brushes.

Cheers
D.K
No, it's an open project by the look of things, so all constructive comments are welcome! Yes, there are many slips that can be made 'twixt pencil and pixel, but in this context that is outside my job description! Thanks for the kind words -- I've always admired your stuff, so that means something to me.
lwaxana wrote:They look great! My favorite is number 6. I think 2 and 6 would work well for the guys plowing the field and then 1 for the child (if there will still be a child). But I think 2 would probably have some facial hair in a zombie apocalypse scenario. I agree with DK that it will take some careful translation and design decisions to vectorize them in AS.

As for colors, the whole story is set with the sun overhead on a hot day, according to the shot list. So in order to make that moody/scary, I was thinking of bright backgrounds and really darkly shaded, almost silhouetted characters so you feel like you're squinting to see them like in Joseph King of Dreams. Or for a more graphic novel approach, maybe the same silhouetting approach, but with colors closer to black and white with some subtle colors for shading. Either way, I'm thinking lots of contrast. Thoughts?
Did you ever see a western film called "Shane"? The colour palette in that was great, kind of a mixture of stark black and white and dusty, high register colour. It fit the subject matter brilliantly. I'm just a character designer here, though, and as I've said before, I think your colour choices are a lot better than mine. As for the facial hair, I didn't want to give everybody beards, but yes, I'd be willing to rough up any of these guys that don't have facial hair!

@steveryan2 - I think we need some decisions (democratic or otherwise!) on how to proceed next. I can do some turnarounds and so on for Dale once there is consensus on which characters to choose. I've got my favourites but I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' views.

@Dale -- Fast work!
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

lwaxana wrote:They look great! My favorite is number 6. I think 2 and 6 would work well for the guys plowing the field and then 1 for the child (if there will still be a child). But I think 2 would probably have some facial hair in a zombie apocalypse scenario.
I am in favor of these choices. Facial hair on one of the men would be good as well, both to distinguish between the two men and because it is the apocalypse after all.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

steveryan2 wrote:
lwaxana wrote:They look great! My favorite is number 6. I think 2 and 6 would work well for the guys plowing the field and then 1 for the child (if there will still be a child). But I think 2 would probably have some facial hair in a zombie apocalypse scenario.
I am in favor of these choices. Facial hair on one of the men would be good as well, both to distinguish between the two men and because it is the apocalypse after all.
I'm vectoring all. They will be in the same file with styles to change the features.

Still need the bodies. I picture ripped shirts and old jeans. One bib overall. No shoes. All 3/4 view for right now.
One body for the zombie, nothing but short pants.

Someone needs to get a simple stick figure story board done.

Dale