Anyone interested in teaming up?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

steveryan2

Anyone interested in teaming up?

Post by steveryan2 »

On a different post I mentioned the idea of teaming up with a few others, and so I thought I would propose something and see what kind of response I received. Like probably most of you I am a hobbyist and I work on my own small projects by myself. I am just throwing this concept out there to see what kind of interest, if any, there is out there.

Would anyone be even remotely interested in helping each other out on each others projects? I'm talking about I help you on yours and then you in turn help me type of thing. I'm also talking about strictly personal projects and not anything that you are doing professionally for hire. I am also talking about shorter projects of just a few weeks or so.

The idea is that by teaming up, our personal projects can be completed faster, and perhaps leverage the strengths of each individual. For example, if somebody is a good character designer, background artist or good with voices, that would be a huge help to me. I am pretty good at animating, somewhat good at rigging and could help out developing story ideas.

I guess we could all keep working in isolation and that's cool too. But I though I would cast a net and see what happens.
jahnocli

Re: Anyone interested in teaming up?

Post by jahnocli »

I'd be interested, especially in character design. I'm a hobbyist, like you, and being part of a small team has some advantages.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

Thank you for your reply, jahnocli.

Do you have skills in character design or were you looking for help in that area?
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I'm good with character design, writing, and voice acting (my favorite). Rigging and animating? Far, far, far from my strong suits.
~Danimal
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I could pitch in also so. But I got a lot on the plate. i can rig, do a little FBF, and I'm getting better at drawing.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Like Danimal, I've got skills in character design, so I'd be interested in doing that. I can draw, and I've even had a formal education in drawing (though it didn't seem like that at the time!) I've got other animation skills, which of course I've had to develop over the years, but I enjoy drawing (and inventing) the most. What projects are you trying to develop at the moment?
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

At the moment I have two ideas cooking.

One is zombie story that I estimate would result in about a two minute finished piece. It has no dialog and is a simple gag. I am trying to decide on the art direction/character design but I am only so-so at drawing and my style is cartoony. I'm not sure that is the best visual style as I want it to have the look of either a graphic novel or Dreamworks Joseph:King of Dreams. I'm going for a super-dark and oppressed look that contrasts heavily with the punchline at the end.

The second idea was to create a Bojack Horseman spoof (or tribute); make it look like an actual a mini-episode. I don't have a script yet just a basic concept and estimate it would probably be about a five minute piece. What I like is about doing a tribute is that the art direction and characters are already in place. I would have to re-create them in Anime Studio but that is very do-able. Any BoJack Horseman fans out there?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I have to honest, I have never heard of "Bojack Horseman" and had to look it up on the net. I'm not keen on spoofs, so I would go with zombie story. I will see what I can do ether way.

Dale
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

BoJack Horseman is a Netflix original animated series. It's only been out about a month or so and is only available on Netflix. It is definitely NOT for kids as it has plenty of colorful language and situations; more than your typical network sitcom.

It's about a horse with a human body who was a sitcom star himself in the 1990s. Now he is a has-been living in Hollywood trying to cope with his life and the bizarre people/animals in his life. If it sounds weird; it is!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

It not the content that is the problem, it more the fact that you have to stay with the artwork and copy write issues. Original art work and no copy write problems is more to my ah,,, thing to do. I will help out as much as I can. Currently I do have a day job that can kill my time. I got today off and tomorrow, but I work 16 hours shifts for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Then next week I start classes at SVA in NYC every Saturday for animation.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I assume the zombie story you talked about is an original idea? I'm not interested in helping you re-hash commercial stuff -- where's the character development in that?
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

My expertise I think lay in lip synching, and maybe set up rigging for lip morphing.

I would like to see "Archer" type quality animation. It could be anything spoofing off old story plot line.

I would love to spoof Vampires and Zombies. Like why do Vampires hang out in school when they are hundred of years old. They live thru history, why study it?

Or what protein powder drink mix do zombie drink to make them run so fast? The new zombies are so much fitter!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I'd be interested in working on a team project (for a small commitment such as a couple of afternoons of work). I think teaming up has a lot of potential, but curious to see how it will work.
One is zombie story that I estimate would result in about a two minute finished piece. It has no dialog and is a simple gag. I am trying to decide on the art direction/character design but I am only so-so at drawing and my style is cartoony. I'm not sure that is the best visual style as I want it to have the look of either a graphic novel or Dreamworks Joseph:King of Dreams. I'm going for a super-dark and oppressed look that contrasts heavily with the punchline at the end.
The Joseph King of Dreams art style sounds really cool, but also very ambitious. Do you have the idea fleshed out enough that you could storyboard it and we can see what you have in mind?
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

Iwaxana,

I have the zombie as a story outline in paragraph form but no script. Since it is so short and has no dialog or scene changes I think it could move from this outline directly to storyboard without much difficulty.Here is the story in a nutshell. I am guessing this is somewhere between one and two minutes.

A post-apocalyptic camp. The city in the distance is in ruins and still smoldering. A small group of survivors are living in tents and cars scraping by and are clearly in trouble food-wise. They are eating things that people would not touch in normal times. Two men are trying to plow a field. Without a tractor or anything gas powered they are doing using 18th century methods; except instead of an ox or even a horse, one of of the two men must do the plowing, which is exhausting them. They look back and have only plowed a small amount. They look ahead and see an entire field that they still must work.

Suddenly people begin screaming; a zombie has entered the camp and is on the hunt for it's next meal. The men on the plow distract the zombie to save the others and the zombie comes after one of them. As he tries to escape, the man falls to the ground and there are several near misses as the zombie goes after the man. Running around a makeshift clothes line, the zombie gets tangled up in the rope. He continues to pull so that he can get his teeth into the man who is lying on the ground in front of him, but the rope holds. With the zombie on a "leash" the man gets an idea. The next shot we see the two men working the field again, but this time with the zombie pulling the plow. They make quick work plowing back and forth across the field using the zombie as an ox.
The End.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

haha, that sounds like a cool idea! so it sounds like people are interested and the question is just how to begin?

I would approach it by first creating an animatic so there is a really clear plan as far as shot angles, timing, mood, and what actions need to be animated.

Here are some tasks we could probably start in on right away:
-a storyboard team could create rough storyboards to create an animatic
-sound design team could create music/soundscape or find creative commons or royalty free music
-create screaming voice acting and sound effects and add to animatic
-character designers could start in on design ideas for the 2 men and zombie characters

Let us know how you want to proceed!