Artist & Animators

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

Artist & Animators

Post by J. Baker »

Hello my fellow Anime Studio users. I'm looking for two artist/animators. I'm going to make an adventure game in the style of King's Quest. So this is not a remake but a brand new game.

I'm needing for at least one person that's good with character design and animation. And another who's good with backgrounds and animation. This will help me focus on coding the game. Although I will be able to step in and help with the artwork and animation.

As for pay. The pay will be based on the sales of the game. So I'm asking for two dedicated people for the next six months or so who can wait for the benefit of profits in the end. Also, the sales will be split four ways, as I will probably get some one for music too.

The game will be ported to windows, linux and mac. Mac may be delayed as I don't currently have one. But the language I use is cross platform. So a mac version will eventually get compiled.

If you're interested, please reply with a link to your portfolio. ;)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Just for curiosity, :roll:
what's the code language you will use for the game?
And in which format will the animation be included in the game?
Is it mandatory to make the animation with a particular software?
Will it be 2D or 3d?
How will you manage share the data between artists and coder(s)?
-G
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Genete wrote:Just for curiosity, :roll:
what's the code language you will use for the game?
And in which format will the animation be included in the game?
Is it mandatory to make the animation with a particular software?
Will it be 2D or 3d?
How will you manage share the data between artists and coder(s)?
-G
Good questions Genete.

1.) PureBasic - I've been using it for 7 or so years now.
2.) Sprite Sheets - In png format.
3.) I would prefer everything is made in Anime Studio. At least the characters. Backgrounds could be discussed.
4.) 2D
5.) I have my own website where I can make ftp access per user.

If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer. ;)
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

I'm curious how expansive you intend to make this game. Backgrounds, especially on the caliber of the later King's Quest games require a lot of time to execute, easily days if you are designing and executing the backgrounds on one's free time.

I use to work for a multimedia company and we would do black and white/greyscale layouts for each level. The programmers could use the layouts for their game coding while the actual finished backgrounds were rendered. Of course this was back in the day when everyone had to work to a 256 color palette. I'm assuming palettes are no longer an issue since all computer systems are running true color displays.

I might be interested in helping, given the right set of circumstances. Please check out my portfolio at:

http://pierrefontaine.webs.com

in addition to the other URL's associated with my signature.

Thanks!
Pierre
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Pierre, let me start off by saying you have an awesome portfolio.

As for backgrounds, yes it's understood that these can take some time. I won't be requiring any palettes. Although, that's one of the things I loved about older games. Anyway, I was going to leave this up to who ever does the backgrounds. Just as long as the backgrounds looked nice and some parts were done in layers. As we know, so the character(s) can walk behind things. So these can be either vector cartoon style or hand painted style. Oh, black and white layouts to start with would be a great.

King's Quest V and up did have more detailed scenery. And I'm sure using only a limited amount of colors could slow this process down even more then it already takes. But while I am asking for detailed backgrounds. It's not as much as the detail per object as it is objects per scene. The objects alone don't need a lot of detail. The objects just need to fill the scene proportionally.

So I would love to have you on the team, if this is what you decide. And if you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask anything. This is a good size project to be stepping into. ;)
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Im interested, i will send you my portfolio.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

PARKER wrote:Im interested, i will send you my portfolio.
I got your PM. I will view your work later tonight and give you a reply, thanks! :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

PARKER joined the team! :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Just an update on what the style of the game will look like. I'm still looking for a character designer and animator (one person). Looking to just make this a 3 person team. ;)

Last edited by J. Baker on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
4jeka

Post by 4jeka »

animLem

Post by animLem »

Is there a written contract for this gig and what guarantees this game will make any profits? How will you go about getting buyers for this game?

Sorry for all the questions.

www.easternsoul.blogspot.com
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

animLem wrote:Is there a written contract for this gig and what guarantees this game will make any profits? How will you go about getting buyers for this game?

Sorry for all the questions.

www.easternsoul.blogspot.com
I'm currently writting up a contract that protects each artist on their own work. Each person gets their own ftp account to upload. So there's no file sharing between the team.

There will be a profit but I can't say how much. That's why I'm being really picky on designing this game and choosing the right people for the team.

I have a few marketing ideas but this is not my main focus at this point. I've also done well marketing my own software in the past, as well as real estate for a team I use to work for.

Hope that answers your questions. ;)
tonym

Post by tonym »

What other software have you made? Any games?

Also, do you have the script done?
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

tonym wrote:What other software have you made? Any games?

Also, do you have the script done?
If you go to my flashpulse website, you can see a couple of my apps. I have more that are either not available on my site or were never released for the public.

I have done game test, both 2D and 3D for a few years now. I use to use GameMaker back in 2000. But since I started programming, I no longer use it.

Still working on the script. And quite frankly, even if it was done, I would either end up adding or changing something. Some of my ideas become better ideas after some thought.
topbarberschool

Artist & Animators

Post by topbarberschool »

In the old days, artists drew everything by hand. Some still do. But many of the animated images and special effects you see today are computer-generated. That means there’s a whole new breed of artist -- and a whole new career path to consider. With creativity and imagination, multimedia artists bring dazzling images and new sophistication to everything from cartoons to commercials.