Papagayo question

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

o0Ampy0o

Papagayo question

Post by o0Ampy0o »

WIth Anime Studio having lip sync capability why is Papagayo being updated rather than integrating the technology into Anime Studio?
shift

Re: Papagayo question

Post by shift »

I have been wondering this from day one.
shift

Post by shift »

I thought someone would have answered this by now.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I assume that some of the libraries used in Papagayo are not available for use in a commercial software, hence it being open source.
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

Papagayo is an open source software created by Mike Clifton (also the same creator of anime studio).

But i believe it has nothing to do with smith micro (i might be wrong)

Besides, papagayo already works with anime studio, so there is no reason to waste time incorporating it.

Anime studio has its own lip syncing features.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Based on the preview videos Mike Clifton is still involved in the updates of AS. I think the workflow could be smoothed out by integrating Papagayo into AS. Whatever reason one might choose to use Papagayo is a benefit missing in AS. This is a proven pattern handled successfully many times in the software industry, supporting software being acquired and absorbed by the object of its support. As for the libraries, theoretically things can be replaced with commercial use content.

Has anything open source ever gone closed?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, Smith Micro acquired AS and then hired its creator, Mike Clifton (who had only been able to develop it part-time, while working at Adobe I think), to develop AS full-time, which he currently does (with the help of additional developers). And yes, I know of a few open source projects that went closed, but in this case that may rely on finding comparable closed-source licenses of some its current technology, which may or may not give the current results.

Also the fact that it is developed independently means that animators not using AS can take advantage of it.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

o0Ampy0o wrote:... I think the workflow could be smoothed out by integrating Papagayo into AS...
Not sure what you mean exactly, but I would disagree that incorporating Papagayo into AS would be possible or improve it at all. it is a completely separate application and making it a part of Anime Studio wouldn't be practical. As was already mentioned, keeping it a separate application also allows it to be used with many other applications besides Anime Studio. I personally think keeping Papagayo as an open source separate application is a much better solution.

EDIT:
An additional bonus allows the Anime Studio developers to go down different paths for lip sync integration that is completely different from Papagayo. Papagayo would continue as a strong program in its own right while Anime Studio can go it's own way without feature bloat.