Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Fahim, Distinct Sun, Víctor Paredes, erey, Belgarath, slowtiger

Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Postby geoffganz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Hello All,

I developed a mouth animation using Papagayo, which worked wonderfully in the Papagayo application using the "test mouth" provided. When I exported the .dat file and placed it in my AS project, the mouth would only form the first and last vowel in the phrase ... during the bulk of the phrase, the mouth remained unanimated.

When I load in the .wav file and .dat file from the tutorial (Hasta La Vista, Baby), this worked fine. With this .dat file placed in the timeline, I noticed that the positions where the mouth was to be animated, there was a keyframe placed in EVERY frame. When I loaded the .dat file that I developed, the keyframes seemed to be placed in the proper locations, but they were scattered and intermittent. This is the only difference I could detect between the provided tutorial .dat file and the one that I developed.

This utility will be a big help to us if we can get it to work properly in AS9. Any help as to what we're doing wrong is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards,
Geoff
geoffganz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Postby heyvern » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm

I could test this easily if you can post the .dat file. It's plain text, so you could put it on a file sharing service or simply open in a text editor and copy/paste the text from the .dat into a reply here. I just want to examine the .dat file first to see if there is anything wrong with it. Rule that out. Don't need the audio, just the dat info.

My first guess is that the switch layer phoneme layers (AI, O, FV, etc... ) aren't named correctly in the switch layer, but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on without more information on what you created and/or what mouth switch you used to test your .dat file.

The number of keys or if they are scattered is not an issue. You don't need keys on every frame. Of course if there are huge long gaps without any keys then something is not right with the papagayo export.

You said the tutorial file worked. Was that tested in the same switch mouth layer as the one you used to test your own .dat file?
It sounds like some of the switch layer keys aren't working at all. Like you have keys from the dat file that don't match layers in the switch (incorrect layer names), BUT you said you tested it with the tutorial file so it should be working... unless... you used two different mouth switch layers for testing, the one from the tutorial and one you created yourself. Just a guess.
User avatar
heyvern
 
Posts: 6964
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:49 am

Re: Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Postby geoffganz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Vern,

Thanks for the offer to help. I will post the .dat file here tomorrow - I won't get to my studio until that time.

I did test my .dat file with the same switch mouth layer as the tutorial.

I appreciate your willingness to help out. I'll post the .dat file tomorrow.

Regards,
Geoff
geoffganz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Postby heyvern » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Just thought of another issue.

Check and make sure that both Papagayo and Anime Studio projects have the same frame rate. I made that mistake myself once a while back. If the FPS is different in each file they don't line up. This could cause some of the keys to not be synced properly.
User avatar
heyvern
 
Posts: 6964
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:49 am

Re: Works great in Papagayo - Won't work in AS9

Postby geoffganz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 am

Hey Vern,

I was able to figure it all out. Papagayo uses these 10 mouth shapes:

• rest
• etc
• FV
• L
• MBP
• O
• E
• AI
• U
• WQ

But the tutorial file did not have these entered as the switch layers. They had a completely different set of characters - most of the individual letters of the alphabet. I looked at the .dat file I created with Papgayo and it uses the 10 character set listed above. I compared that to the .dat file that came with the tutorial, and it all dawned on me what the trouble was.

Thanks again for your suggestions. They put me on the right path.
geoffganz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 am


Return to Papagayo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest