Other languages than english and spanish?

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

rylleman

Other languages than english and spanish?

Post by rylleman »

LM.
In the release notes for beta3 you mentioned that Myles provided code for spanish pronounciation rules.
Do you want to share what code is needed so we users can help you create support for other languages as well?
myles

Post by myles »

Hello rylleman,

you'll need to write a Python (programming language) function that takes a word (e.g. "Svenka") and returns it broken down into a string composed of CMU phonemes e.g. ("S V EH1 N K AA0").

You can do this using either a phonetic dictionary (a list of words and how they are pronounced, necessary for English), or some sort of phonetic breakdown algorithm (a set of pronunciation rules) which works (more or less) for Spanish, a very phonetically spelled language.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Is anyone out there working with a code for Swedish pronounciation rules?!?
Probably not....
How much work is it?

/Jonathan
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Jonathan wrote:Is anyone out there working with a code for Swedish pronounciation rules?!? How much work is it?

Our lipsynch guru Myles is developing a swedish breakdown algorithm for papagayo. I have helped him out a little in getting all the swedish pronounciation rules as right as possible. (That is BTW no easy task!) And there goes a lot of work coding all of it into python too.

There will probably be some testing going on soon and, then, as soon as a reasonably well working breakdown algorithm is finished it will be sent to lost marble and we'll hope that he will include it in Papagayo.

How long before it's done...?
What can I say.......... patience! But there IS work going on.

regards
capricorn33
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator

Post by Guest »

Super! Thats great news! Thanks a lot Myles!! Hope Papagayo will include
it sonn as possible!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, I wonder how easy or difficult this task would be for german. Papagayo worked great once I wrote every sentence in this silly Kennedy-Phonetic-German, but the sheer amount of work for my current project is too much to be handled that way.

My knowledge of languages and linguistics is good enough to set up some rules or algorhythms, but I can't program anything in Python or Suaheli :D . Would this be of any help, I'm more than willing to perform this task, making it possible to add a "german" button as soon as possible.
keisern

Swedish version?

Post by keisern »

I´m currently doing a project with a lot of norwegian lipsync, and would be very interested in the swedish breakdown in papagayo. How is this version coming along?

I´m currently trying out the spanish breakdown, as it is closer to norwegian, but I imagine a swedish phonetic rule would be very close to norwegian.

Let me know if there´s anything happening! I´d be happy to betatest.[/i]
Halvseint, animated talkshow on NRK
www.nrk.no/halvseint