lip sync shorter than soundtrack

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Craigar

lip sync shorter than soundtrack

Post by Craigar »

Hi,
I'm new to character animation and lip sync.
I'm doing the lip sync tutorial in AS (w/Papagayo). I did "Bushisms".

Two problems.

Firstly Papagayo doesn't automatically save the exported voice with ".dat" extension. So I need to enter ".dat" manually.
It says "Format: Moho switch files (*.dat)" as the only choice in the export window pull down menu. "Hide Extension" is unchecked and greyed out. But no .dat extension unless I don't type it manually.

Secondly, back in AS, the mouth movements are about 2 seconds early - finishing up before the voice track ends. I've tried this in two exercises. They both ended before the audio. One exercise, the Hasta La Vista worked fine. FYI that voice track is shorter than the ones with the problems.

I'm on a mac, 10.4.11

Thanks,
Craig
Craigar
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

First off the file extension. Yes, you have to put .dat in by hand. Papagayo isn't really created to support all of the system features like dat extensions etc. Small inconvenience.

The second issue is most likely due to FPS. The FPS of both the Papagayo and AS file must match or the timing of the keys will be off. Sadly if you did it wrong in Papagayo you can't just change it and export the voice. If you change the FPS in Papagayo all the lip sync will be "shifted".

If you can change the FPS in AS without messing up any other animation that would the way to go. If you can't and don't want to redo the Papagayo files with a new FPS you could... uh... use a text editor to change the key frame locations in the dat file to match the FPS in the AS file. I posted this trick on the forum somewhere. If you need it I can find it.

Basically, make absolutely sure that the Papagayo FPS and the AS FPS match before doing the lip sync.

-vern
Craigar

Post by Craigar »

Thanks Big V,
I'll check it out.
-Craig
Craigar
Craigar

Post by Craigar »

That's awesome, dude. Thanks; it works great.
I'm gonna be an aniMayToR!
Craigar