Our "Get the Ball Rolling Contest"

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

bupaje

Our "Get the Ball Rolling Contest"

Post by bupaje »

This passes for the official announcement of the contest we've been chatting about. You can find details of the contest here.

http://stormvisions.com/pages/contest.php

In addition let me clarify a few points.

1. The animation itself is between 10-30 seconds. A second or two more or less won't disqualify you; the goal was simply to level the field for those who may not have the free time to pump out a 3 hour epic. The 10-30 seconds does not include the title screen and credit screens, so you can animate those a bit if you feel the need for more but the judging will focus mainly on the 10-30 second bit for the purpose of scoring.

2. If you can join this group at YouTube http://www.youtube.com/group/animestudio and upload your animation then do so, if not send it to me zipped in whatever format you can, and I'll convert it upload it for you as needed. The .anme files should be send to me at animestudio@stormvisions.com Please be sure to save all the files, art etc, into one folder so you don't end up with missing images.

3. Some of the required props have a lot of points because I rushed Ryan - I wanted to post the contest right away as I am starting school again and free time is about to vanish. If the props cause unacceptable slowdowns then feel free to reduce the points on the props used, or render as png and use them as images. If you don't know how ask on the forums.

That's it, participate, have fun. Certain unnamed people have indicated that they may provide prizes for future contests if there is enough interest shown to make it worthwhile.

If you want to give contest feedback let's use this other thread.

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7658
Last edited by bupaje on Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bupaje

Contest Entries

Post by bupaje »

User: Genete
Files: Genete Files (6mb)
Video: Video File

User: Ulrik - Entry 1
Files: Ulrik Files (9mb)

User: Ulrik - Entry 2
Files: Ulrik Files (3.5mb)

User: Shawn the Touched
Files: Shawn the Touched Files (619kb)

User: Rplate
Files: Rplate Files (67mb)
Video: Video File (Mov 16mb)

User: Benderfax
Files: Benderfaxe Files (6.7mb)
Video: Video File (DivX)
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
bupaje

All entries are up!

Post by bupaje »

Finished posting the entries. Sorry for the delay - you know the drill, a few messed up files, school and a hanky drenching cold. I'm sending a message to our judge now. If anyone notices any major goofs by me then please let me know. Feel free to comment in this thread and offer suggestions for the future.

I'm in my last 6 weeks of school and will also be job hunting. I'll try my best to set up another contest if you guys enjoyed it. I have a few potential prizes lined up. I'll also be glad to be in a supporting role if someone feels like they want to run another contest -ie if you want to set it up, deal with the files and announcements I can probably get some prize(s) together for you.

Here's one suggestion for a future contest in case we want to make a list.

1. The background and props contest - I'm thinking along the lines of creating extra resources others can use so you might create an alien planet with some props and effects that others could drop in.
This might give those who are more artists than animators a chance.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
benderfax

Thank you for organizing AS Contest 1

Post by benderfax »

Hi Bupaje,
Thank you for organizing this Anime Studio Contest.
I learned a lot working on my own animation and am learning more, analyzing the .anme files from the other contestants. Everyone approached this thing a little differently in terms of style and technique. Some techniques were quite tricky and I hope to use the techniques in my own animations, once I figure out how they were done.

I will definitely submit work to future AS contests like this whenever they are offered.

Thank you again!

benderfax
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hi folks. Sorry about the contest results delay. I emailed GreyKids the results at the end of the contest but apparently it went out into the internet twilight zone. I PM'd Stu at GreyKids yesterday to ask if he had a chance to look at them assuming he had gotten busy and he said he never got the email. He said he'd look at them and get back shortly.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hi folks. Sorry about the contest results delay. I emailed GreyKids the results at the end of the contest but apparently it went out into the internet twilight zone. I PM'd Stu at GreyKids yesterday to ask if he had a chance to look at them, assuming he had gotten busy, and he said he never got the email. He said he'd look at them and get back shortly.

Sorry again. I'm in my last six weeks of school, getting ready to graduate, doing my internship, training my replacement at work -and desperately seeking an entry level art job somewhere so lots of stuff is starting to fall through the cracks. :shock:
Genete

Post by Genete »

bupaje wrote:Hi folks. Sorry about the contest results delay. I emailed GreyKids the results at the end of the contest but apparently it went out into the internet twilight zone. I PM'd Stu at GreyKids yesterday to ask if he had a chance to look at them, assuming he had gotten busy, and he said he never got the email. He said he'd look at them and get back shortly.

Sorry again. I'm in my last six weeks of school, getting ready to graduate, doing my internship, training my replacement at work -and desperately seeking an entry level art job somewhere so lots of stuff is starting to fall through the cracks. :shock:
Good luck for your graduation bupaje!
Waiting for any contest news anyway.
Bye
Genete
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Thanks. I guess GreyKids is swamped with work. Contest didn't go as smooth as I hoped. :(
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hi everyone. I just got an email with the results from GreyKid Pictures. Rather than rehash it I'll post his message; all results are final. I'll contact CartoonSolutions right now with winners names.

------------
I'm very sorry about the delay in replying I have been out of the country for the last few weeks with work.

Anyhow, I took a look at the entrants and have the winner for you.

I tried to judge them on idea and story, not just animation style, in fact, model and animation style is the last on the list.

First was by Benderfax. It's short, funny and too the point. It's also a funny gag. Which is delivered clean and clear.

Second was by Shawn the Touched. The animation in this was great, I also like the use of the dialogue from another film.

Third was Ulrik Entry 1. I liked the idea of useing the raygun for different purposes other than killing! It had some nice animation and camera also.

Again really sorry for the delay, work in and out of the studio has been hectic to say the least.

-----------------------

Congratulations to the winner, the other mentioned contestants and everyone who participated. You now have official bragging rights from someone whose work we all enjoy. :)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Congratulations for the winner!!!
Waiting for a new animation contest soon!!!

Regards
Genete
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Congratulations Benderfax!!
Yes I'm also waiting for the next contest! :D
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Go Benderfax!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
rplate

Post by rplate »

First was by Benderfax.
Second was by Shawn the Touched.
Third was Ulrik

Congratulations to all three of you.

Bob Plate