Contest Feedback

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

kdiddy13

Contest Feedback

Post by kdiddy13 »

Now that the first contest has wrapped up, I'd love to get your feedback. What worked? What didn't? Did you have enough time? Too much? Not enough?

Any rules that didn't sit well with you? If you didn't enter, why not (aside from being busy with other things)?

Would you like to see another contest?
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bupaje

Re: Contest Feedback

Post by bupaje »

kdiddy13 wrote:...Would you like to see another contest?
Yes! I like having a goal to work towards or I tend to jump all over the place and seldom finish anything.
agentdurden

Re: Contest Feedback

Post by agentdurden »

kdiddy13 wrote:Now that the first contest has wrapped up, I'd love to get your feedback. What worked? What didn't? Did you have enough time? Too much? Not enough?

Any rules that didn't sit well with you? If you didn't enter, why not (aside from being busy with other things)?

Would you like to see another contest?
i was too beat up from work. bring on another contest. maybe it can be about anything this time? i notice all the entrys had moho5 in them.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

One thing I would suggest for future contests is having one person designated to host all the files, and possibly even establishing some guidelines for output codecs ... I have managed to view most of the entries, but not without jumping through a few hoops.
-Keith
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

What AcouSvnt said!

I also need a deadline and a goal, but No I did not have enough time. I was still rendering when the time was up. I was told that the contest would end at 6:PM my time, but there was some miscalculation as it ended much earlier. We need some sort of chart so that we know exactly what dates and times we are dealing with.
kilerant

Post by kilerant »

AcouSvnt wrote:One thing I would suggest for future contests is having one person designated to host all the files, and possibly even establishing some guidelines for output codecs ... I have managed to view most of the entries, but not without jumping through a few hoops.
i agree and subscribe :)
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I also need a deadline and a goal, but No I did not have enough time. I was still rendering when the time was up. I was told that the contest would end at 6M my time, but there was some miscalculation as it ended much earlier. We need some sort of chart so that we know exactly what dates and times we are dealing with.
I won't give any lecture on waiting to the last minute because I realize that the deadline was a little confusing for some and that there was some bad math done early last week. We had to go with GMT because of the large number of international users. What I suggested was that if you had any doubt, go to your profile and set your clock back to GMT, this would tell you specifically how much time you had left.
One thing I would suggest for future contests is having one person designated to host all the files, and possibly even establishing some guidelines for output codecs ... I have managed to view most of the entries, but not without jumping through a few hoops.
Perhaps guidlines for codecs would work, but that was a whole kettle of fish I was hoping to avoid. I was hoping to allow as many people to enter as possible without excluding people due to technical limitations. I also didn't want to become a tech center for helping people to get codecs to work (I hardly like doing it for myself!). Perhaps offering people some specific alternatives to narrow the amount of codecs down to a handful would be a good solution. So far I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary that I couldn't play, DIVX probably being the most complicated to get to work, worked fine for me. What movie/codec specifically didn't work for you?

As for the hosting, if someone wants to put their website up for downloading these animations, that would be awesome. Until then, we'll have to continue having the contestants host their own movie.

Just an observation: The boards for a while were filled with people practically screaming for Flash this and Flash that, and yet, I don't think anyone actually entered a Flash animation. Curious.
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I've noticed that some of the more regular posters here (including myself) haven't participated in the contest. I'd kind of like to submit to one, but I don't feel that I'm nearly ready to at this point.

Just out of curiosity I went to the Memberlist and sorted by "number of posts" to take a look at the top few posters ... but at first it defaulted to ascending order, and HOLY TOLEDO there are a lot of people who subscribed to this forum and never posted a single message. I wonder if any of them lurk, or if they just checked in once and never came back.
-Keith
kilerant

Post by kilerant »

kdiddy13 wrote: Just an observation: The boards for a while were filled with people practically screaming for Flash this and Flash that, and yet, I don't think anyone actually entered a Flash animation. Curious.
I tryed to make my contest entry (The Contest) in flash format, i actualy saved from moho, 5 swf scenes, but when i imported in Flash the first 3 scenes , Flash freezed (the files were to big), and i couldn't create a full flash animation.
but i used Flash to convert the swf in avi, because moho (i used the demo) put the "moho free demo" if you render in avi,qt,...
Flash works nice with short Moho scenes, but if you have 2.5 Mb of swf, Flash can't face the job. :cry:
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Let me be clear. I did not wait until the last minute. I worked every evening after work and all of two weekends. I really pushed Moho to the limit and found some bugs that have since been fixed. This experience has been great. I have learned a great deal about Moho faster than I would have other wise. I just should have chosen a more simple script for such a short deadline. And surely there is no harm in listing more than one time-zone or at least provide a link to some conversion page somewhere.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

And surely there is no harm in listing more than one time-zone or at least provide a link to some conversion page somewhere.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/profile ... ditprofile

Set Timezone to GMT. Go back to the main forum board and it will tell you what time it is in the GMT in the upper left "The time is now...". Or simply don't log in and it will tell you the current GMT time.

There are 32 different time zones. Rather than publishing a chart or posting timezones on request, I'd rather people take the responsibility of figuring it out for themselves. That way, doing the math is on the contestants shoulders, not mine. Next time I'll publish these instructions with the deadline. Again, I apologize for any confusion over the deadline. This was after all the first contest, hopefully we can iron these bugs out over the course of time.
I've noticed that some of the more regular posters here (including myself) haven't participated in the contest.
I was noticing that, myself. I would have loved to enter one, but didn't feel it'd be proper to enter as the moderator and friend of the judges. Perhaps in another contest when it's a bit less formal.

Kdiddy
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Here are my thoughts on the first Moho contest I entered so far:

I thought the comments viewers posted for all animations were friendly and uplifting, pointing out the more positive aspects of every animation. I like the encouraging spirit of the posts.

If I'm not mistaken most entries were relative newcomers to Moho, for me it was my second "real" project and for some others even the first. The positive side is that most animations were experimental and used interesting techniques (learning the program) and the downside was the standard of quality. Compared to some of the demo animations in the Moho gallery this was child's play.

So the question is; where are the professional Moho animators? Are they on the forums but have no time, no interest or are they not active on the forum? It's nice to win of course but i'd like to see some entries that blow me away and show me studio quality.

The comment above is in no way meant to put down any of the entries, I consider my movie entertaining enough but far from perfect, I used it to learn Moho and develop my style and skills. I give credit to all those who have put their head on the chopping block and show the public what they have done. I have deep respect for that.

I can't wait for the next contest, I'll give my best to keep my title for the audience poll and I challenge every single forum member to beat me! No excuses like "no time to finish", "rendering took too long", "modem broke down" and "I don't know how to read a clock properly :wink: " next time!

Regards,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

If I had to guess, I'd say that the real pros are too busy doing work for money. I for one would like to see what Squeaky Dave or Diego Mendiguren would do for a competition such as this. They've both got some really wonderful stuff in the official gallery.

Congrats on the win, Nobudget! :)

Kindest regards,
Dave
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I would assume Banterfield is right.

Incidentally, Reindert, yours approached a "pro" look, in my opinion; my biggest criticism of it, if you don't mind me getting constructively nitpicky here ... AND IF YOU DO MIND, JUST STOP READING NOW ... would be the soundtrack. I would have made the cartoon voices a little more different from your own, possibly using speed manipulation, or at the very least closer mic'ing. And the way you have music starting and stopping exactly when you cut to and from the "gay guy" makes it seem all the more edited-in, I don't know exactly what I would have done about that. Still, I didn't submit anything at all, so who the hell am I? Heh. Just my reactions. I helped you win a "people's choice" too. I did watch it many times, and the characters look and move great. Is it wrong to be attracted to the Asian girl?
-Keith
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

If I had to guess, I'd say that the real pros are too busy doing work for money. I for one would like to see what Squeaky Dave or Diego Mendiguren would do for a competition such as this. They've both got some really wonderful stuff in the official gallery.
I suppose your right with the 'work for money'-stuff which I think is sad. I was hoping too see some great animations in the contest, an I must say I was a little bit disappointed (don't realy know how to spell it) over how few and mostly quite simple animations, including my own ones. Though I don't like some cartoons, like the ones on Squeaky Daves offical gallary. I don't like animations using the typical "cartoon-network-ish" style which often is used in flash animations. I think Makeoverstudios 'The Good Spirit Song' was great, and the animation about the two butterflys, which also can be found on his gallary, is just wonderful.
Last edited by Hiddicop on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.