2nd Moho Contest Submission - Rosie

Post by Nolan Scott »

My "Toon" called "Rosie"
in QuickTime-Sorenson 3.
(Sorry, but still 13.8 MB).

http://web.mac.com/nolan.scott/iWeb/Gallery/Rosie.html

Cheers
Nolan
Last edited by Nolan Scott on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Very nice animation! The opening credits were really well done, both choice of font and the animating title with the moving background, very slick. But the sound effects on the title were not in sync with the letters, is that correct? The character design was also very good, would I be correct in assuming the female characters in the club were originally designed for a different purpose than the more cartoon-like characters? The 2 1/2 dimension movement on the singers' face was very nicely done also. One suggestion, work on the actual movement. I notice the typical "floating" look Moho interpolation often has (I'm guilty too!), if there are more and more abrupt keyframes it looks more real. You were perhaps not going for realistic and it could be deliberate but knowing the Moho techniques used it is noticable to me.

Long story but I really liked it!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I liked it - especially the way the marble seemed to roll naturally back and forth.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

nice...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
RASH

Post by RASH »

nobudget wrote:One suggestion, work on the actual movement. I notice the typical "floating" look Moho interpolation often has (I'm guilty too!), if there are more and more abrupt keyframes it looks more real.
I know it's just semantics, but isn't "convincing" a better term here than "real"?

I mean in animation you are supposed to entertain the viewer, telling him/her a story in a certain style. If something breaks with this general style, without a good reason, it may bring the viewer to start doing other things than follow the storyline (read: distraction). If you can keep the viewer's attention until the end, by telling your story in a convincing manner, I guess your animation is a total success.

Anyway, I liked the overall style and the storyline. I was amused until the end, because I watched to be entertained, not to judge an entry. I voluntarily leave that to more qualified individuals.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Your term "distraction" is probably beter than both "real" or "convincing". I noticed the floating because I know the program characteristics, others might not have any problems with that. But all character animation, human/animal/vegetable/alien etc. is judged by what you know. That's why the characters in "Final Fantasy" didn't work and in "The Incredibles" it did. We know human movement too well so we notice every error when trying to duplicate it. With cartoon characters our brain uses different standards and we are more forgiving.

And I watch to be entertained, not to judge but I do try to comment so the creator can get an outside perspective. I only deal in constructive critisism, if i DON'T comment it means your work completely sucks. :wink: This entry clearly didn't suck!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
RASH

Post by RASH »

nobudget wrote:Your term "distraction" is probably beter than both "real" or "convincing".
Then distraction is is. During sweatboxing those distractions should be eliminated. I'll remember that when I create my first minutes long animation. Thanks!
I noticed the floating because I know the program characteristics,
I wonder how this anim would have looked in created in ToonBoom, The Tab or if he had used Plastic Animation Paper as an animator's drawing tool instead of Illustrator. Heck, even how it would have looked if he had created analogue artwork and "rostrumed" those with the Video LunchBox.
And I watch to be entertained, not to judge
Now I realize judges should be entertained as well. Nothing worse than a bored judging panel :wink:
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

nobudget wrote:I notice the typical "floating" look Moho interpolation often has (I'm guilty too!),
I started a new topic here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1607

Please add your ideas and tips. :D
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

RASH wrote: I wonder how this anim would have looked in created in...
Heck, don´t stop there...how would it have looked if George Lucas would have filmed it using live actors and his Star Wars characters plus a $150 million budget??? :D
RASH

Post by RASH »

Toontoonz wrote:how would it have looked if George Lucas would have filmed it using live actors and his Star Wars characters plus a $150 million budget??? :D
Or Paul Verhoeven with a similar budget, live actors, weak plot and loads of SFX :wink: