points joining and ruining my animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AngryMonster

points joining and ruining my animation

Post by AngryMonster »

Sometimes when I animate a character in a scene - A point might accidently join a line of another shape on the same layer.

This often happens beyond the undo levels. As it is hard to spot sometimes

The only way I can think of fixing this - is to delete the point, put a new one in at frame 0 and start over again - which sucks

Is there a way to detach it with out ruining the animation for that point.

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I turn off "Auto Weld" on the point translation tool when animating points. I often have many "floating" point ends that would always connect annoyingly to a nearby line.

This happens to me a lot and I started keeping that auto weld unchecked. It can be a bit annoying when you really want it on but it is easy enough to turn it one, connect the point, turn it off.

As for the undo thing... you are saying that it won't undo? Or you don't notice it till it is too late?

Whenever this happened to me if I kept undoing eventually it went back. Although there are things you can do that will "erase" the undo history.

-vern
AngryMonster

Post by AngryMonster »

Perfect ...

...what a simple solution... I am dumb

(yes I ment too late on the undos)

Thanks alot Heyvern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

...what a simple solution... I am dumb
Don't be silly!

I just found out two days ago in a post here that you can weld two points in the middle of two splines just by putting them close together, selecting them and hitting the space key.

All this time I would delete one end of the spline and connect using the translation tool and then extend the point. :oops:

Good grief I felt like a total idiot!

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I always have my speakers on, so when a line joins accidentally, a sound goes 'CLICK' and I undo.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have no problems knowing when it happens. The bigger problem is that many times it is absolutely impossible to move points and NOT have them weld if auto weld is turned on. Nudging works but it is a bit tedious.

-vern